D-backs' Brandon McCarthy understands GM Kevin Towers' comments
Starting pitcher Brandon McCarthy was a guest host on Fox Sports 1's 'Crowd Goes Wild' and got a chance to respond to Towers' strong comments.
"I get the comments -- they're loud and they're out there, but I understand the underlying point, we do need a personality shift, we do need to be tougher as a team," McCarthy said. "I don't think that necessarily means we need to go out and hit people, it's not a head-hunting thing. It's just simply that we have to change our mentality.
"We're up against a $300 million behemoth (the Los Angeles Dodgers), and the only way you can compete with that is to try and find new ways to beat them, and for us is just going to be a personality and a clubhouse shift."
McCarthy, who plunked five batters in 135 innings of work in 2013, explained to the rest of the panel (including Regis Philbin) that deliberately hitting batters is part of the game.
"Usually a couple a year," he said. "Sometimes, (the order) comes down from the top and somebody tells you 'we need to hit this guy for the sake of balancing things out.'"
McCarthy was also asked about the Dodgers' Chase Field pool celebration after clinching the NL West title in Phoenix last month, but avoided any controversy with his answer.
"I'm fine with it," he said. "Next year is what we need to focus on. It's how do we stop them from swimming in our pool next year? How do we get to celebrate in our pool next year? We open with them in Australia -- you focus on those games and let everything from last year just fall behind."
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?