ESPN's Kurkjian on D-backs GM's comments: 'This is Kevin Towers'
While most of the reaction has been negative, ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian explained Towers' stance and that it's not a surprise to people within the industry.
"This is Kevin Towers. This is what everyone in baseball knows him to be," Kurkjian told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Wednesday. "He is a tough guy who is not afraid to speak his mind. Even though he's a young-ish guy, he's an old-school guy in every way. And being a former pitcher, he is not about to let anybody get away with anything."
Kurkjian said that when Towers took the job, he changed the culture of the team and brought in guys that were going to play hard and tough. If Towers saw any of those players not meet those expectations, he was going to let them know it was not acceptable and this was Towers' way of doing that.
"This is his way of saying, ‘We're getting back to that the minute next season starts, because we're not going .500 again, and more important than that, we're not going to be intimidated by anyone,'" Kurkjian said. "'If someone hits our guy, we're going to hit him back. That's how baseball's worked for 120 years, and we're going to take it back.'"
While Kurkjian understands where Towers is coming from, he doesn't necessarily support it.
"Even though I'm definitely not in favor of hitting anybody on purpose," Kurkjian said, before adding, "I'm telling you, when you don't do your job hitting and retaliating properly, you'll at worst become a pariah on your team."
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.