D-backs manager Gibson: 'Drastic overhaul' not necessary
They also finished nine games out of a Wild Card spot, so it would stand to reason if the team wants to earn a postseason spot next year, something is going to have to change.
But D-backs manager Kirk Gibson, as a guest of Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday, said he doesn't believe his team needs to look much different in 2014.
"I don't think we need a drastic overhaul," he said. "I think we've got a great nucleus of players."
Gibson acknowledged the team will need to improve in certain areas, including starting pitching, the bullpen and power hitting, especially from the left side of the plate. He believes the starters currently on the roster have the potential to turn things around next season, and added the bullpen has some nice pieces in it, too.
What all that will mean as the offseason progresses in terms of free agent additions and trades remains to be seen, but the D-backs do seem to have a surplus of middle infielders and starting pitchers, so a deal could be made from one of those spots.
The manager added the D-backs are more of a "situational team" that relies on its defense and determination, and those are traits worth keeping.
And while that may not be enough to beat a team like the Dodgers every time out, Gibson said the goal is to compete with baseball's best.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.