D-backs manager Gibson: 'Drastic overhaul' not necessary
They also finished nine games out of a Wild Card spot, so it would stand to reason if the team wants to earn a postseason spot next year, something is going to have to change.
But D-backs manager Kirk Gibson, as a guest of Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday, said he doesn't believe his team needs to look much different in 2014.
"I don't think we need a drastic overhaul," he said. "I think we've got a great nucleus of players."
Gibson acknowledged the team will need to improve in certain areas, including starting pitching, the bullpen and power hitting, especially from the left side of the plate. He believes the starters currently on the roster have the potential to turn things around next season, and added the bullpen has some nice pieces in it, too.
What all that will mean as the offseason progresses in terms of free agent additions and trades remains to be seen, but the D-backs do seem to have a surplus of middle infielders and starting pitchers, so a deal could be made from one of those spots.
The manager added the D-backs are more of a "situational team" that relies on its defense and determination, and those are traits worth keeping.
And while that may not be enough to beat a team like the Dodgers every time out, Gibson said the goal is to compete with baseball's best.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Four-run fifth inning does in McCarthy, D-backs in loss to Cubs: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: 'If we don't start winning, I should be held accountable'
- Diamondbacks didn't have a chance after Sydney
- Prospect Archie Bradley struggles in latest outing
- Wood homers, allows 1 run in Cubs' win
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.