D-backs GM Towers: Team expected pitcher McCarthy to miss time
Brandon McCarthy agreed to a two-year, $15 million deal in the offseason but was placed on the disabled list for about two months as he dealt with a shoulder issue that limited him to 22 starts.
D-backs General Manager Kevin Towers said in his final press conference of the season on Sunday the team anticipated an injury and is prepared for McCarthy to deal with another one next season.
"He's going to spend some, probably, time again on the DL next year. That's just his history," Towers said. "We knew that when we signed him. But if he throws that two-seamer sinker like he did and keeps the ball down, and the way he's pitched the second half, I think we've got a bona fide starter right there. And I think we've got the depth with our young pitchers to pick up the innings he doesn't provide us next year."
Towers added they expected McCarthy to contribute around 150 innings each year. In 2013, McCarthy finished with 135 innings and went 5-11 with a 4.53 ERA. McCarthy's career high in innings pitched came in 2011 with the Oakland Athletics when he totaled 170.2.
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.