D-backs GM Towers: Team expected pitcher McCarthy to miss time
Brandon McCarthy agreed to a two-year, $15 million deal in the offseason but was placed on the disabled list for about two months as he dealt with a shoulder issue that limited him to 22 starts.
D-backs General Manager Kevin Towers said in his final press conference of the season on Sunday the team anticipated an injury and is prepared for McCarthy to deal with another one next season.
"He's going to spend some, probably, time again on the DL next year. That's just his history," Towers said. "We knew that when we signed him. But if he throws that two-seamer sinker like he did and keeps the ball down, and the way he's pitched the second half, I think we've got a bona fide starter right there. And I think we've got the depth with our young pitchers to pick up the innings he doesn't provide us next year."
Towers added they expected McCarthy to contribute around 150 innings each year. In 2013, McCarthy finished with 135 innings and went 5-11 with a 4.53 ERA. McCarthy's career high in innings pitched came in 2011 with the Oakland Athletics when he totaled 170.2.
- Beckett, Puig silence D-backs in series-clinching win for Dodgers: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Bolsinger struggles in first career start
- Ethier's HR propels Dodgers over Diamondbacks
- D-backs lose early lead, fall to Dodgers: By The Numbers
- Reserve outfielder Tony Campana supplies spark during D-backs' sluggish start
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.