Updated Sep 27, 2013 - 8:27 am
Grit Index: Fielding gaffe dooms D-backs in final road game of 2013
Josh Collmenter on the mound, extra innings and a marathon victory.
However, Alexi Amarista and the San Diego Padres weren't having any of it.
After Tommy Medica reached on infield single to start the bottom of the 11th inning, the D-backs -- and in particular A.J. Pollock -- handed Bud Black's squad an absolute gift.
On a fly ball hit off the bat of San Diego pitch-hitter Jesus Guzman, Pollock danced around near the left centerfield wall, but came up empty on a very manageable play.
Guzman's misplayed double bounced over the fence, sending Medica to third on the play.
After Collmenter walked Nick Hundley, he promptly allowed an RBI single up the middle to Amarista and the Padres walked off on the D-backs by a final of 3-2.
With the loss, Arizona finished 2013 with a 30-44 record against the NL West.
Paul Goldschmidt's fourth-inning single extended his hitting streak to 16 games.
Starter Trevor Cahill finished 2013 on a positive note. Cahill, who gave up two runs in 5.2 innings of work Thursday, went 5-0 with a 2.70 ERA in his last nine starts of 2013.
The Padres' pitching staff combined to throw a near in-game perfect game, retiring 24 D-backs hitters in a row over the final eight innings Thursday.
In three series at Petco Park this season, Arizona went 0-3.
- The extra-inning affair was Arizona's 25th of the season and 12th on getaway day.
- The D-backs have played in an MLB-record 80 extra innings, meaning they're on pace to play the equivalent of nearly 171 games.
- Outside of Collmenter's one inning of work, the D-backs' bullpen allowed no hits in 3.2 innings.
- Mark Kotsay, who is retiring at the end of the season, went 0-for-3 in his final career game at Petco Park.
The Diamondbacks open up their final home series of the season Friday night, as the Washington Nationals come to town. All-Star Patrick Corbin (14-7, 3.28 ERA) gets the nod for Arizona. He will take on Washington's Stephen Strasburg (7-9, 3.02 ERA). First pitch is at 6:40 p.m. and can be heard on Arizona Sports 620.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 9When is it time to make changes?