Updated Sep 27, 2013 - 8:27 am
Grit Index: Fielding gaffe dooms D-backs in final road game of 2013
Josh Collmenter on the mound, extra innings and a marathon victory.
However, Alexi Amarista and the San Diego Padres weren't having any of it.
After Tommy Medica reached on infield single to start the bottom of the 11th inning, the D-backs -- and in particular A.J. Pollock -- handed Bud Black's squad an absolute gift.
On a fly ball hit off the bat of San Diego pitch-hitter Jesus Guzman, Pollock danced around near the left centerfield wall, but came up empty on a very manageable play.
Guzman's misplayed double bounced over the fence, sending Medica to third on the play.
After Collmenter walked Nick Hundley, he promptly allowed an RBI single up the middle to Amarista and the Padres walked off on the D-backs by a final of 3-2.
With the loss, Arizona finished 2013 with a 30-44 record against the NL West.
Paul Goldschmidt's fourth-inning single extended his hitting streak to 16 games.
Starter Trevor Cahill finished 2013 on a positive note. Cahill, who gave up two runs in 5.2 innings of work Thursday, went 5-0 with a 2.70 ERA in his last nine starts of 2013.
The Padres' pitching staff combined to throw a near in-game perfect game, retiring 24 D-backs hitters in a row over the final eight innings Thursday.
In three series at Petco Park this season, Arizona went 0-3.
- The extra-inning affair was Arizona's 25th of the season and 12th on getaway day.
- The D-backs have played in an MLB-record 80 extra innings, meaning they're on pace to play the equivalent of nearly 171 games.
- Outside of Collmenter's one inning of work, the D-backs' bullpen allowed no hits in 3.2 innings.
- Mark Kotsay, who is retiring at the end of the season, went 0-for-3 in his final career game at Petco Park.
The Diamondbacks open up their final home series of the season Friday night, as the Washington Nationals come to town. All-Star Patrick Corbin (14-7, 3.28 ERA) gets the nod for Arizona. He will take on Washington's Stephen Strasburg (7-9, 3.02 ERA). First pitch is at 6:40 p.m. and can be heard on Arizona Sports 620.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The Arizona Diamondbacks rumor mill
- Arizona Diamonbacks reportedly trying to sign OF Shin-Soo Choo
- Two Diamondbacks scouts named among Baseball America's scouts of the year
- Report: Diamondbacks in serious discussions about acquiring Angels outfielder Mark Trumbo
- Report: D-backs tried to land Yoenis Cespedes from A's in exchange for A.J. Pollock and Tyler Skaggs
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday October 30Tim Kurkjian talks about Game 6 of the World Series Wednesday.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday October 29The Red Sox are one win away from winning the World Series.