ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian: 'Poolgate' reflective of societal issue
Thursday, Tim Kurkjian was asked his thoughts on 'Poolgate,' and ESPN's senior baseball writer chose to point the finger at a party not named the Arizona Diamondbacks or Los Angeles Dodgers.
"If I were a player -- and obviously I'm not -- but I would have never done that," Kurkjian told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo. "And if I were the manager, I would have advised those players, 'Don't do that. It's not necessary.'
"Was I completely offended by it? No and here's why. We have taught the players to be like this. ESPN has taught them to be like this by showing all of the knucklehead things that the players do. They think it's okay to do this now. Yasiel Puig doesn't know any better and that's a real problem."
While Kurkjian initially called out his own industry, he added that the issue of promoting unprofessional behavior goes even deeper than sports media.
"It's a societal thing that we've allowed our young people to do whatever the heck they want," said Kurkjian.
"But some of the veteran guys should have advised and said, 'Let's celebrate in here. Let's not touch anything that belongs to the Diamondbacks. Whether you like a pool or not, that's the Diamondbacks' property.'"
Of course, no such advisement took place, and the story as well as the subsequent headlines will likely carry into 2014, when the D-backs and Dodgers kick off the Major League Baseball season down in Australia.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.