Diamondbacks president Hall: Offseason is 'going to be fun'
Sure, the Los Angeles Dodgers celebrating their NL West title last week by taking a dip in the Chase Field pool is one of them, but as the D-backs' President told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf, "we could have avoided all of that had we taken care of business here."
Hall admitted he may have exhibited "sour grapes" with some of his postgame comments, but added a lot went into it that, if everyone knew exactly what happened, "they would be even more shocked."
But that's in the past, and while Hall and many people associated with the Diamondbacks may have been offended, the team's attention will now turn to making sure there is not a repeat performance next season. And the way to do that, of course, would be to win the NL West themselves.
It is with that goal in mind that Hall says the roster needs some work.
"We're still not far off," he said. "You've got a fairly successful season -- a winning season -- but not not one that we wanted to experience. We wanted to win."
Hall said any season that ends without a playoff birth is not satisfactory, because the goal is to win multiple World Series titles.
The president said that does not mean changes are coming to the front office or coaching staff.
"We just have to all look in the mirror and get back on the same page and ask ourselves what went wrong," he said.
So, what did go wrong?
Anyone who has watched the team knows injuries hurt, as did an inconsistent offense and woeful bullpen. Hall, who said he's not glad to see the season end but cannot wait to get started on next year, is looking forward to the challenge facing the D-backs.
"It's going to be fun," he said. "When you go into the offseason knowing that you have a few tweaks to make and you start to think about who may be out there from a trade-standpoint and how you can improve the club, that's fun, that's exciting."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.