Diamondbacks president Hall: Offseason is 'going to be fun'
Sure, the Los Angeles Dodgers celebrating their NL West title last week by taking a dip in the Chase Field pool is one of them, but as the D-backs' President told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf, "we could have avoided all of that had we taken care of business here."
Hall admitted he may have exhibited "sour grapes" with some of his postgame comments, but added a lot went into it that, if everyone knew exactly what happened, "they would be even more shocked."
But that's in the past, and while Hall and many people associated with the Diamondbacks may have been offended, the team's attention will now turn to making sure there is not a repeat performance next season. And the way to do that, of course, would be to win the NL West themselves.
It is with that goal in mind that Hall says the roster needs some work.
"We're still not far off," he said. "You've got a fairly successful season -- a winning season -- but not not one that we wanted to experience. We wanted to win."
Hall said any season that ends without a playoff birth is not satisfactory, because the goal is to win multiple World Series titles.
The president said that does not mean changes are coming to the front office or coaching staff.
"We just have to all look in the mirror and get back on the same page and ask ourselves what went wrong," he said.
So, what did go wrong?
Anyone who has watched the team knows injuries hurt, as did an inconsistent offense and woeful bullpen. Hall, who said he's not glad to see the season end but cannot wait to get started on next year, is looking forward to the challenge facing the D-backs.
"It's going to be fun," he said. "When you go into the offseason knowing that you have a few tweaks to make and you start to think about who may be out there from a trade-standpoint and how you can improve the club, that's fun, that's exciting."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.