Diamondbacks president Hall: Offseason is 'going to be fun'
Sure, the Los Angeles Dodgers celebrating their NL West title last week by taking a dip in the Chase Field pool is one of them, but as the D-backs' President told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf, "we could have avoided all of that had we taken care of business here."
Hall admitted he may have exhibited "sour grapes" with some of his postgame comments, but added a lot went into it that, if everyone knew exactly what happened, "they would be even more shocked."
But that's in the past, and while Hall and many people associated with the Diamondbacks may have been offended, the team's attention will now turn to making sure there is not a repeat performance next season. And the way to do that, of course, would be to win the NL West themselves.
It is with that goal in mind that Hall says the roster needs some work.
"We're still not far off," he said. "You've got a fairly successful season -- a winning season -- but not not one that we wanted to experience. We wanted to win."
Hall said any season that ends without a playoff birth is not satisfactory, because the goal is to win multiple World Series titles.
The president said that does not mean changes are coming to the front office or coaching staff.
"We just have to all look in the mirror and get back on the same page and ask ourselves what went wrong," he said.
So, what did go wrong?
Anyone who has watched the team knows injuries hurt, as did an inconsistent offense and woeful bullpen. Hall, who said he's not glad to see the season end but cannot wait to get started on next year, is looking forward to the challenge facing the D-backs.
"It's going to be fun," he said. "When you go into the offseason knowing that you have a few tweaks to make and you start to think about who may be out there from a trade-standpoint and how you can improve the club, that's fun, that's exciting."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday October 30Tim Kurkjian talks about Game 6 of the World Series Wednesday.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday October 29The Red Sox are one win away from winning the World Series.