Updated Sep 24, 2013 - 11:11 pm
Shortstop will be open competition for D-backs
With Chris Owings turning in solid production during his first MLB stint and Didi Gregorius fading from his sizzling start, D-backs manager Kirk Gibson said it's safe to say that there will be a position battle at shortstop come March.
"As we've done in the past, we're going to use spring to establish as much competition for playing time as we can," Gibson told Arizona Sports 620's Burns & Gambo Tuesday.
Owings was hitting .308 heading into Tuesday's game at San Diego after being named the Pacific Coast League's MVP and Rookie of the Year at Triple-A Reno, where he hit .330 with 12 home runs. Gregorius' average has fallen to .255 after he hit well above .300 for the first few months of his time with Arizona.
Gibson said he'll try to split playing time between the two the rest of this season.
"When you're playing one guy two days, another guy the next two days, you'll see the differences in their style of play," Gibson said. "Owings is playing well for us right now … he deserves the chance to get comfortable up here.
"Didi is very talented. Chris is talented. Penny (Cliff Pennington) and Willie (Bloomquist) are playing their tails off. As we get into the offseason, we'll have a lot of discussions about what way we're gonna go."
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?