Updated Sep 24, 2013 - 11:11 pm
Shortstop will be open competition for D-backs
With Chris Owings turning in solid production during his first MLB stint and Didi Gregorius fading from his sizzling start, D-backs manager Kirk Gibson said it's safe to say that there will be a position battle at shortstop come March.
"As we've done in the past, we're going to use spring to establish as much competition for playing time as we can," Gibson told Arizona Sports 620's Burns & Gambo Tuesday.
Owings was hitting .308 heading into Tuesday's game at San Diego after being named the Pacific Coast League's MVP and Rookie of the Year at Triple-A Reno, where he hit .330 with 12 home runs. Gregorius' average has fallen to .255 after he hit well above .300 for the first few months of his time with Arizona.
Gibson said he'll try to split playing time between the two the rest of this season.
"When you're playing one guy two days, another guy the next two days, you'll see the differences in their style of play," Gibson said. "Owings is playing well for us right now … he deserves the chance to get comfortable up here.
"Didi is very talented. Chris is talented. Penny (Cliff Pennington) and Willie (Bloomquist) are playing their tails off. As we get into the offseason, we'll have a lot of discussions about what way we're gonna go."
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.