Updated Sep 24, 2013 - 11:11 pm
Shortstop will be open competition for D-backs
With Chris Owings turning in solid production during his first MLB stint and Didi Gregorius fading from his sizzling start, D-backs manager Kirk Gibson said it's safe to say that there will be a position battle at shortstop come March.
"As we've done in the past, we're going to use spring to establish as much competition for playing time as we can," Gibson told Arizona Sports 620's Burns & Gambo Tuesday.
Owings was hitting .308 heading into Tuesday's game at San Diego after being named the Pacific Coast League's MVP and Rookie of the Year at Triple-A Reno, where he hit .330 with 12 home runs. Gregorius' average has fallen to .255 after he hit well above .300 for the first few months of his time with Arizona.
Gibson said he'll try to split playing time between the two the rest of this season.
"When you're playing one guy two days, another guy the next two days, you'll see the differences in their style of play," Gibson said. "Owings is playing well for us right now … he deserves the chance to get comfortable up here.
"Didi is very talented. Chris is talented. Penny (Cliff Pennington) and Willie (Bloomquist) are playing their tails off. As we get into the offseason, we'll have a lot of discussions about what way we're gonna go."
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.