Updated Sep 24, 2013 - 11:11 pm
Shortstop will be open competition for D-backs
With Chris Owings turning in solid production during his first MLB stint and Didi Gregorius fading from his sizzling start, D-backs manager Kirk Gibson said it's safe to say that there will be a position battle at shortstop come March.
"As we've done in the past, we're going to use spring to establish as much competition for playing time as we can," Gibson told Arizona Sports 620's Burns & Gambo Tuesday.
Owings was hitting .308 heading into Tuesday's game at San Diego after being named the Pacific Coast League's MVP and Rookie of the Year at Triple-A Reno, where he hit .330 with 12 home runs. Gregorius' average has fallen to .255 after he hit well above .300 for the first few months of his time with Arizona.
Gibson said he'll try to split playing time between the two the rest of this season.
"When you're playing one guy two days, another guy the next two days, you'll see the differences in their style of play," Gibson said. "Owings is playing well for us right now … he deserves the chance to get comfortable up here.
"Didi is very talented. Chris is talented. Penny (Cliff Pennington) and Willie (Bloomquist) are playing their tails off. As we get into the offseason, we'll have a lot of discussions about what way we're gonna go."
- Beckett, Puig silence D-backs in series-clinching win for Dodgers: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Bolsinger struggles in first career start
- Ethier's HR propels Dodgers over Diamondbacks
- D-backs lose early lead, fall to Dodgers: By The Numbers
- Reserve outfielder Tony Campana supplies spark during D-backs' sluggish start
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.