Updated Sep 24, 2013 - 4:17 pm
D-backs' Kirk Gibson: 'We won't forget' Dodgers' pool celebration
The Los Angeles Dodgers clinched the National League West by beating the Arizona Diamondbacks 7-6 at Chase Field. What followed was a traditional on-field celebration and a champagne and beer shower in the clubhouse.
But what followed that became a national story. A group of Dodgers ran out back on to the field, scaled the fence and splashed around in the Chase Field pool.
Additionally, a report circulated Tuesday that indicated that at least one Los Angeles player relieved himself in the pool.
"There's some debate and people have debated all over the country whether they should've or should not have, but I think we'd all agree that peeing in the pool is not cool," Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson told Burns and Gambo Tuesday on Arizona Sports 620. "That's bad pool etiquette."
Gibson elaborated that he doesn't believe other teams would have celebrated the same way the Dodgers did.
"If you look around at some of the classy organizations around the league, they wouldn't have done that either," Gibson said. "(The Dodgers) make their choices and they'll be held accountable for them, one way or the other.
"We won't forget it and as more information comes out, it adds to it."
There has been plenty of bad blood between the two organizations this season. In April, D-backs managing general partner Ken Kendrick asked Dodger fans who were sitting behind home plate in their team's garb to change their clothing or be moved from the seats. In June, the two teams engaged in an on-field brawl that resulted in 12 players getting fined and eight players getting suspended.
In July, Dodgers rookie Yasiel Puig reportedly disrespected D-backs great Luis Gonzalez, who just wanted to talk to him about his Cuban heritage. Gonzalez's family has roots in Cuba.
And now, there's the pool incident.
With all of that piling up this season, Gibson declined to say he thought the Dodgers' celebration was personal because it came against the D-backs in Arizona.
"You would have to ask them that question," he said.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.