Grit Index: McCarthy takes 10th loss vs. Padres
McCarthy scattered eight hits in 6.0 innings pitched against the Padres, allowing four to score.
Three runs came on a sixth-inning Nick Hundley home run, giving Stults -- who improved to 10-13 with the win -- a comfy lead when he took the mound to get an out in the seventh inning.
Stults ultimately struck out five Diamondbacks batters, allowing five hits and just one to score over 6.1 innings. The lone run came in the second inning, when Adam Eaton plated Matt Davidson on an RBI single.
Paul Goldschmidt, Martin Prado and Aaron Hill, the Diamondbacks' 3-4-5 hitters, combined to go 1-for-11 in the game with a walk.
Cliff Pennington -- who many though would be held out of Kirk Gibson's starting lineups for the remainder of the season, due to the presence of Didi Gregorius, Chris Owings and Willie Bloomquist on the roster -- made the most of his starting opportunity, going 3-for-4 from the 8-hole.
Against a slow-throwing left-hander, the Diamondbacks' right-handed 3-4-5 hitters tallied only one hit in 11 at-bats.
Up Next: Left-hander Wade Miley (10-10, 3.75 ERA) of the Diamondbacks will take on the Padres' Tyson Ross (3-8, 3.24 ERA) at Petco Park. First pitch is at 7:10 p.m. MDT and can be heard on Arizona Sports 620 AM.
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Tim Kurkjian - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.