Grit Index: McCarthy takes 10th loss vs. Padres
McCarthy scattered eight hits in 6.0 innings pitched against the Padres, allowing four to score.
Three runs came on a sixth-inning Nick Hundley home run, giving Stults -- who improved to 10-13 with the win -- a comfy lead when he took the mound to get an out in the seventh inning.
Stults ultimately struck out five Diamondbacks batters, allowing five hits and just one to score over 6.1 innings. The lone run came in the second inning, when Adam Eaton plated Matt Davidson on an RBI single.
Paul Goldschmidt, Martin Prado and Aaron Hill, the Diamondbacks' 3-4-5 hitters, combined to go 1-for-11 in the game with a walk.
Cliff Pennington -- who many though would be held out of Kirk Gibson's starting lineups for the remainder of the season, due to the presence of Didi Gregorius, Chris Owings and Willie Bloomquist on the roster -- made the most of his starting opportunity, going 3-for-4 from the 8-hole.
Against a slow-throwing left-hander, the Diamondbacks' right-handed 3-4-5 hitters tallied only one hit in 11 at-bats.
Up Next: Left-hander Wade Miley (10-10, 3.75 ERA) of the Diamondbacks will take on the Padres' Tyson Ross (3-8, 3.24 ERA) at Petco Park. First pitch is at 7:10 p.m. MDT and can be heard on Arizona Sports 620 AM.
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.