Grit Index: McCarthy takes 10th loss vs. Padres
McCarthy scattered eight hits in 6.0 innings pitched against the Padres, allowing four to score.
Three runs came on a sixth-inning Nick Hundley home run, giving Stults -- who improved to 10-13 with the win -- a comfy lead when he took the mound to get an out in the seventh inning.
Stults ultimately struck out five Diamondbacks batters, allowing five hits and just one to score over 6.1 innings. The lone run came in the second inning, when Adam Eaton plated Matt Davidson on an RBI single.
Paul Goldschmidt, Martin Prado and Aaron Hill, the Diamondbacks' 3-4-5 hitters, combined to go 1-for-11 in the game with a walk.
Cliff Pennington -- who many though would be held out of Kirk Gibson's starting lineups for the remainder of the season, due to the presence of Didi Gregorius, Chris Owings and Willie Bloomquist on the roster -- made the most of his starting opportunity, going 3-for-4 from the 8-hole.
Against a slow-throwing left-hander, the Diamondbacks' right-handed 3-4-5 hitters tallied only one hit in 11 at-bats.
Up Next: Left-hander Wade Miley (10-10, 3.75 ERA) of the Diamondbacks will take on the Padres' Tyson Ross (3-8, 3.24 ERA) at Petco Park. First pitch is at 7:10 p.m. MDT and can be heard on Arizona Sports 620 AM.
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.