Grit Index: McCarthy takes 10th loss vs. Padres
McCarthy scattered eight hits in 6.0 innings pitched against the Padres, allowing four to score.
Three runs came on a sixth-inning Nick Hundley home run, giving Stults -- who improved to 10-13 with the win -- a comfy lead when he took the mound to get an out in the seventh inning.
Stults ultimately struck out five Diamondbacks batters, allowing five hits and just one to score over 6.1 innings. The lone run came in the second inning, when Adam Eaton plated Matt Davidson on an RBI single.
Paul Goldschmidt, Martin Prado and Aaron Hill, the Diamondbacks' 3-4-5 hitters, combined to go 1-for-11 in the game with a walk.
Cliff Pennington -- who many though would be held out of Kirk Gibson's starting lineups for the remainder of the season, due to the presence of Didi Gregorius, Chris Owings and Willie Bloomquist on the roster -- made the most of his starting opportunity, going 3-for-4 from the 8-hole.
Against a slow-throwing left-hander, the Diamondbacks' right-handed 3-4-5 hitters tallied only one hit in 11 at-bats.
Up Next: Left-hander Wade Miley (10-10, 3.75 ERA) of the Diamondbacks will take on the Padres' Tyson Ross (3-8, 3.24 ERA) at Petco Park. First pitch is at 7:10 p.m. MDT and can be heard on Arizona Sports 620 AM.
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- D-backs' mystery man David Peralta impresses general manager Kevin Towers
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?