Grit Index: Youth served in D-backs' five-run win over Rockies
The D-backs raced out to a 6-0 lead through the first three innings, thanks to an RBI single by rookie catcher Tuffy Gosewisch in the second inning, and four RBIs by rookie shortstop and third baseman Chris Owings (double) Matt Davidson (three-run home run) in the third inning.
From there, Cahill handled the rest.
The right-hander gave up two runs on seven hits in 5.2 innings of work, as the D-backs took the second game of their three-game series with the Colorado Rockies by a final of 7-2.
With Saturday's victory, Cahill has now won five straight decisions.
Aside from the offensive explosion by the young trio of Gosewisch, Davidson and Owings, Gerardo Parra and Martin Prado once again had big nights at the plate. The Venezuelans combined to go 5-for-9 with an RBI and three runs scored.
Adam Eaton has recorded a hit in seven of his last eight games.
Paul Goldschmidt's added to his NL-leading RBI total with an infield single in the ninth inning. The D-backs first baseman has 122 RBI on the season.
The only real scare of the night came in the first inning. For the second time this season, Cahill was struck with a line drive -- this time off the bat DJ LeMahieu. Cahill, however, managed to stay in the game and calmly retired the final three batters of the inning.
- Heath Bell pitched two innings for the first time since Aug. 18.
- Chris Owings' RBI double in the third was the first extra-base hit of his career.
- The D-backs have scored four or more runs in four straight games.
- Gerardo Parra has reached safely in 18 of his last 21 games.
Patrick Corbin (14-7, 3.17 ERA) will look to shake off the shortest outing of his season Sunday when he faces Juan Nicasio (8-8, 4.98 ERA) in the series finale between the Diamondbacks and Rockies at Coors Field. First pitch is scheduled for 1:10 p.m. MDT and can be heard on Arizona Sports 620 AM.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Reserve outfielder Tony Campana supplies spark during D-backs' sluggish start
- Hill, Diamondbacks top Dodgers in extra innings
- Diamondbacks exorcise some demons in win over Dodgers
- D-backs break winless streak, beat Dodgers in extras: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Cody Ross goes hitless in season debut
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.