Grit Index: Youth served in D-backs' five-run win over Rockies
The D-backs raced out to a 6-0 lead through the first three innings, thanks to an RBI single by rookie catcher Tuffy Gosewisch in the second inning, and four RBIs by rookie shortstop and third baseman Chris Owings (double) Matt Davidson (three-run home run) in the third inning.
From there, Cahill handled the rest.
The right-hander gave up two runs on seven hits in 5.2 innings of work, as the D-backs took the second game of their three-game series with the Colorado Rockies by a final of 7-2.
With Saturday's victory, Cahill has now won five straight decisions.
Aside from the offensive explosion by the young trio of Gosewisch, Davidson and Owings, Gerardo Parra and Martin Prado once again had big nights at the plate. The Venezuelans combined to go 5-for-9 with an RBI and three runs scored.
Adam Eaton has recorded a hit in seven of his last eight games.
Paul Goldschmidt's added to his NL-leading RBI total with an infield single in the ninth inning. The D-backs first baseman has 122 RBI on the season.
The only real scare of the night came in the first inning. For the second time this season, Cahill was struck with a line drive -- this time off the bat DJ LeMahieu. Cahill, however, managed to stay in the game and calmly retired the final three batters of the inning.
- Heath Bell pitched two innings for the first time since Aug. 18.
- Chris Owings' RBI double in the third was the first extra-base hit of his career.
- The D-backs have scored four or more runs in four straight games.
- Gerardo Parra has reached safely in 18 of his last 21 games.
Patrick Corbin (14-7, 3.17 ERA) will look to shake off the shortest outing of his season Sunday when he faces Juan Nicasio (8-8, 4.98 ERA) in the series finale between the Diamondbacks and Rockies at Coors Field. First pitch is scheduled for 1:10 p.m. MDT and can be heard on Arizona Sports 620 AM.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Gerardo Parra's Arizona Diamondbacks career: By the Numbers
- Martin Prado: By the Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks call up Andy Marte and Roger Kieschnick from Triple-A Reno
- Arizona Diamondbacks trade Martin Prado to New York Yankees
- Arizona Diamondbacks trade Gerardo Parra to Milwaukee Brewers for prospects Mitch Haniger and Anthony Banda
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.