Unearned run gives Dodgers 1-0 win over Padres
SAN DIEGO (AP) - Adrian Gonzalez scored an unearned run and Zack Greinke combined with three relievers on a two-hitter to lead the Los Angeles Dodgers over the San Diego Padres 1-0 Sunday.
Andrew Cashner (10-9) had a two-hitter into the seventh when Gonzalez singled with one out, Matt Kemp struck out and Michael Young doubled off the right-field wall. Will Venable bobbled the ball, and Gonzalez came home after initially being held by third base coach Tim Wallach.
Greinke allowed both hits over five innings, lowering his ERA to 2.67. He is 7-0 with a 1.59 ERA in 11 starts since a July 25 loss to Cincinnati and 2-0 with a 1.44 ERA in three starts against the Padres this year.
J.P. Howell (4-1) pitched a perfect sixth, Chris Withrow walked two over two innings and Kenley Jensen struck out the side in the ninth for his 27th save in 31 chances.
Los Angeles threw its 21st shutout, four more than any other big league team.
San Diego, which won 2-0 on Friday night, was held scoreless over the final 21 innings of the three-game series.
Cashner allowed four hits in seven innings with seven strikeouts and no walks. He was coming off a two-hit shutout of Pittsburgh in his previous start.
After throwing a career-high 175 innings, Cashner likely was making his final start this season, according to manager Bud Black.
NOTES: Dodgers SS Hanley Ramirez started for just the third time in 10 games. Ramirez, who has been fighting back and hamstring ailments, was removed after six innings. ... Los Angeles manager Don Mattingly said he will likely use a four-man rotation in the NL division series and carry 11 pitchers. ... Dodgers LHP Hyun-Jin Ryu (13-7, 3.03 ERA) will oppose Giants RHP Matt Cain (8-9, 4.06) at San Francisco when the clubs open a three-game series on Tuesday night. ... Diamondbacks RHP Brandon McCarthy (5-9, 4.57) faces Padres LHP Eric Stults (9-13, 4.02) on Monday night, starting San Diego's final home series.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Collmenter, D-backs down Padres, snap losing streak
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter dazzles in D-backs' win over Padres
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.