Unearned run gives Dodgers 1-0 win over Padres
SAN DIEGO (AP) - Adrian Gonzalez scored an unearned run and Zack Greinke combined with three relievers on a two-hitter to lead the Los Angeles Dodgers over the San Diego Padres 1-0 Sunday.
Andrew Cashner (10-9) had a two-hitter into the seventh when Gonzalez singled with one out, Matt Kemp struck out and Michael Young doubled off the right-field wall. Will Venable bobbled the ball, and Gonzalez came home after initially being held by third base coach Tim Wallach.
Greinke allowed both hits over five innings, lowering his ERA to 2.67. He is 7-0 with a 1.59 ERA in 11 starts since a July 25 loss to Cincinnati and 2-0 with a 1.44 ERA in three starts against the Padres this year.
J.P. Howell (4-1) pitched a perfect sixth, Chris Withrow walked two over two innings and Kenley Jensen struck out the side in the ninth for his 27th save in 31 chances.
Los Angeles threw its 21st shutout, four more than any other big league team.
San Diego, which won 2-0 on Friday night, was held scoreless over the final 21 innings of the three-game series.
Cashner allowed four hits in seven innings with seven strikeouts and no walks. He was coming off a two-hit shutout of Pittsburgh in his previous start.
After throwing a career-high 175 innings, Cashner likely was making his final start this season, according to manager Bud Black.
NOTES: Dodgers SS Hanley Ramirez started for just the third time in 10 games. Ramirez, who has been fighting back and hamstring ailments, was removed after six innings. ... Los Angeles manager Don Mattingly said he will likely use a four-man rotation in the NL division series and carry 11 pitchers. ... Dodgers LHP Hyun-Jin Ryu (13-7, 3.03 ERA) will oppose Giants RHP Matt Cain (8-9, 4.06) at San Francisco when the clubs open a three-game series on Tuesday night. ... Diamondbacks RHP Brandon McCarthy (5-9, 4.57) faces Padres LHP Eric Stults (9-13, 4.02) on Monday night, starting San Diego's final home series.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Diamondbacks reinstate Cody Ross; designate Ryan Rowland-Smith
- ESPN analyst Kurkjian: Arizona Diamondbacks 'not doing anything right'
- D-backs' Derrick Hall: Losses mounting because players are pressing
- D-backs prospect Archie Bradley struggles in latest start
- D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.