Unearned run gives Dodgers 1-0 win over Padres
SAN DIEGO (AP) - Adrian Gonzalez scored an unearned run and Zack Greinke combined with three relievers on a two-hitter to lead the Los Angeles Dodgers over the San Diego Padres 1-0 Sunday.
Andrew Cashner (10-9) had a two-hitter into the seventh when Gonzalez singled with one out, Matt Kemp struck out and Michael Young doubled off the right-field wall. Will Venable bobbled the ball, and Gonzalez came home after initially being held by third base coach Tim Wallach.
Greinke allowed both hits over five innings, lowering his ERA to 2.67. He is 7-0 with a 1.59 ERA in 11 starts since a July 25 loss to Cincinnati and 2-0 with a 1.44 ERA in three starts against the Padres this year.
J.P. Howell (4-1) pitched a perfect sixth, Chris Withrow walked two over two innings and Kenley Jensen struck out the side in the ninth for his 27th save in 31 chances.
Los Angeles threw its 21st shutout, four more than any other big league team.
San Diego, which won 2-0 on Friday night, was held scoreless over the final 21 innings of the three-game series.
Cashner allowed four hits in seven innings with seven strikeouts and no walks. He was coming off a two-hit shutout of Pittsburgh in his previous start.
After throwing a career-high 175 innings, Cashner likely was making his final start this season, according to manager Bud Black.
NOTES: Dodgers SS Hanley Ramirez started for just the third time in 10 games. Ramirez, who has been fighting back and hamstring ailments, was removed after six innings. ... Los Angeles manager Don Mattingly said he will likely use a four-man rotation in the NL division series and carry 11 pitchers. ... Dodgers LHP Hyun-Jin Ryu (13-7, 3.03 ERA) will oppose Giants RHP Matt Cain (8-9, 4.06) at San Francisco when the clubs open a three-game series on Tuesday night. ... Diamondbacks RHP Brandon McCarthy (5-9, 4.57) faces Padres LHP Eric Stults (9-13, 4.02) on Monday night, starting San Diego's final home series.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Rookie Ahmed makes difference in Diamondbacks' marathon win over Reds: By The Numbers
- Report: Diamondbacks willing to move closer Addison Reed
- Diamondbacks reinstate Jordan Pacheco, release Nick Evans
- ESPN Insider calls for D-backs to pawn Martin Prado off to Blue Jays
- Plate call overturned in D-backs' loss
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.