Updated Sep 22, 2013 - 5:26 pm
Davidson hits 3-run homer, D-backs beat Rox 13-9
DENVER (AP) - Matt Davidson hit a three-run homer for the second straight day, and the Arizona Diamondbacks opened an early six-run lead before hanging on to beat the Colorado Rockies 13-9 on Sunday.
Rookie Chris Owings doubled, scored twice and drove in two runs for the Diamondbacks, who led 7-1 in the third and 13-5 in the ninth.
Colorado's Michael Cuddyer was 3 for 5, raising his league-leading average to .334. Todd Helton, who is retiring at the end of the season, had four RBIs to raise his total to 1,402.
Will Harris (4-1) got the final two outs of the fifth in relief of Patrick Corbin, who allowed four runs, 10 hits and two walks in 4 1-3 innings. After Colorado closed with four runs in the ninth, Brad Ziegler got DJ LeMahieu to hit a game-ending groundout with two on.
Juan Nicasio (8-9) gave up seven runs, seven hits and two walks in 2 1-3 innings, matching his shortest outing this season.
Each team had 19 hits, including three apiece by Arizona's Aaron Hill, Adam Eaton and A.J. Pollock.
NOTES: Cuddyer was back in the Rockies lineup after missing the previous three games with a sore left wrist and forearm. ... CF Dexter Fowler was rested by the Rockies, a day after aggravating a knee injury; manager Walt Weiss said there was a chance Fowler wouldn't play again the rest of the way. ... Charlie Blackmon has had multiple hits in seven of his last eight games. ... The Rockies have an off day Monday before closing their home schedule with a two-game interleague series against the Boston Red Sox. ... The Diamondbacks return home to host a four-game series against the Padres with RHP Brandon McCarthy (5-9) set to start Monday's opener against LHP Eric Stults. ... Goldschmidt scored his 100th run of the season in a three-run third inning.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.