ESPN Analyst Kurkjian: D-backs face long-term challenge with big-market Dodgers
ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian was on Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Wednesday, and he discussed the challenge the Arizona Diamondbacks face having to compete against such a financially endowed team. One small market team that's been able to achieve success is Tampa Bay Rays, but Kurkjian said following their lead is easier said than done.
"Keep in mind that the Rays became good because they were historically bad for almost 15 years. If you want to be good, draft the right people and then develop them correctly," Kurkjian said. "The Rays‘ model is different because they've kept it going now for six years. To sustain it for that long is very difficult."
The Dodgers sported an opening day payroll of $216 million while the D-backs were at just under $90 million. With a likely extension to pitcher Clayton Kershaw coming soon, the Dodgers' payroll should only rise in the next few years.
Kurkjian did point out that not all high-spending teams have success, but admitted it allows them to make a mistake a team like the D-backs can't.
"If [the D-backs] have to go out and get that one guy, that they have to overspend for in order to stay competitive with the Dodgers, they better be sure that deal they give him works long term because if it doesn't, they're in big trouble," Kurkjian said.
- A little from Trevor Cahill would mean a lot for the D-backs
- Could injuries force Archie Bradley into the starting rotation?
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill leaves early with knee injury vs. Cleveland
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 12Will Archie Bradley make the starting rotation?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.