Pair of former A's finally finding groove for D-backs
Slated as the team's No. 2 and 3 starters at the season's outset, Cahill and McCarthy each hit rough patches midway through the season and both landed on the disabled list.
Cahill was solid through the first two months of the season, boasting a 2.87 ERA as the Diamondbacks headed for June -- the month he imploded. In six June starts, the right-hander went 0-5 with a 9.85 ERA. He was placed on the disabled list at month's end with a hip injury.
McCarthy, meanwhile, struggled from the get-go. In April, the offseason free agent acquisition went 0-3 with a 7.48 ERA. And though he seemed to regain control in May, going 2-1 with a 3.23 ERA, he suffered a shoulder injury at the end of the month, which landed him on the disabled list for all of June and July and part of August.
Both returned from the disabled list in August and, after a few innings of reacclimation, they've seemingly found the form the Diamondbacks hoped they'd have at the beginning of the season.
In his last six games -- five starts and an extra innings relief appearance -- Cahill has a 2.14 ERA over 33.2 innings. Though he continues to struggle with walks, giving up 20 while striking out just 21 in that span, he continues to show deftness with damage control.
Cahill beat the Dodgers 2-1 Monday at Chase Field.
And McCarthy has a 2.10 ERA over his last four starts, spanning 30.0 innings. The 30-year-old has a 15:1 strikeout-to-walk ratio during the stretch, dating back to August 26.
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.