Arizona Diamondbacks' Aaron Hill nominated for Roberto Clemente Award
The award is given out annually to a player who, "best represents the game of baseball through positive contributions on and off the field."
Hill has been extremely active in the community since coming over to the Diamondbacks in 2011. Before the season began he dedicated a youth baseball field in Parker, Ariz., as part of the APS Diamonds Back Field program. He also worked with the Make-A-Wish Foundation to fulfill Kyle Byrd's wish to become a D-backs player for a day.
"Aaron has continued to prove he is a leader both on and off the field and this year is no exception," said D-backs President & CEO Derrick Hall. "His selfless attitude and willingness to help wherever needed is commendable and represents what it means to be a D-back in every aspect."
On Wednesday, the D-backs will recognize Hill during a pregame ceremony on the field.
"I am extremely humbled to be named the D-backs Roberto Clemente nominee," said Hill. "Roberto was a tremendous role model on and off the field, and it is a true privilege to be considered for the Award named in his honor."
Each MLB team gets one nominee for the award, which dates back to 1971. The D-backs have had one previous recipient of the award as Curt Schilling received the honor in 2001.
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.