Arizona Diamondbacks' Aaron Hill nominated for Roberto Clemente Award
The award is given out annually to a player who, "best represents the game of baseball through positive contributions on and off the field."
Hill has been extremely active in the community since coming over to the Diamondbacks in 2011. Before the season began he dedicated a youth baseball field in Parker, Ariz., as part of the APS Diamonds Back Field program. He also worked with the Make-A-Wish Foundation to fulfill Kyle Byrd's wish to become a D-backs player for a day.
"Aaron has continued to prove he is a leader both on and off the field and this year is no exception," said D-backs President & CEO Derrick Hall. "His selfless attitude and willingness to help wherever needed is commendable and represents what it means to be a D-back in every aspect."
On Wednesday, the D-backs will recognize Hill during a pregame ceremony on the field.
"I am extremely humbled to be named the D-backs Roberto Clemente nominee," said Hill. "Roberto was a tremendous role model on and off the field, and it is a true privilege to be considered for the Award named in his honor."
Each MLB team gets one nominee for the award, which dates back to 1971. The D-backs have had one previous recipient of the award as Curt Schilling received the honor in 2001.
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.