Arizona Diamondbacks' Aaron Hill nominated for Roberto Clemente Award
The award is given out annually to a player who, "best represents the game of baseball through positive contributions on and off the field."
Hill has been extremely active in the community since coming over to the Diamondbacks in 2011. Before the season began he dedicated a youth baseball field in Parker, Ariz., as part of the APS Diamonds Back Field program. He also worked with the Make-A-Wish Foundation to fulfill Kyle Byrd's wish to become a D-backs player for a day.
"Aaron has continued to prove he is a leader both on and off the field and this year is no exception," said D-backs President & CEO Derrick Hall. "His selfless attitude and willingness to help wherever needed is commendable and represents what it means to be a D-back in every aspect."
On Wednesday, the D-backs will recognize Hill during a pregame ceremony on the field.
"I am extremely humbled to be named the D-backs Roberto Clemente nominee," said Hill. "Roberto was a tremendous role model on and off the field, and it is a true privilege to be considered for the Award named in his honor."
Each MLB team gets one nominee for the award, which dates back to 1971. The D-backs have had one previous recipient of the award as Curt Schilling received the honor in 2001.
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.