Arizona Diamondbacks' Aaron Hill nominated for Roberto Clemente Award
The award is given out annually to a player who, "best represents the game of baseball through positive contributions on and off the field."
Hill has been extremely active in the community since coming over to the Diamondbacks in 2011. Before the season began he dedicated a youth baseball field in Parker, Ariz., as part of the APS Diamonds Back Field program. He also worked with the Make-A-Wish Foundation to fulfill Kyle Byrd's wish to become a D-backs player for a day.
"Aaron has continued to prove he is a leader both on and off the field and this year is no exception," said D-backs President & CEO Derrick Hall. "His selfless attitude and willingness to help wherever needed is commendable and represents what it means to be a D-back in every aspect."
On Wednesday, the D-backs will recognize Hill during a pregame ceremony on the field.
"I am extremely humbled to be named the D-backs Roberto Clemente nominee," said Hill. "Roberto was a tremendous role model on and off the field, and it is a true privilege to be considered for the Award named in his honor."
Each MLB team gets one nominee for the award, which dates back to 1971. The D-backs have had one previous recipient of the award as Curt Schilling received the honor in 2001.
- Two Diamondbacks scouts named among Baseball America's scouts of the year
- Report: D-backs set sights on acquiring Angels outfielder Mark Trumbo
- Report: D-backs tried to land Yoenis Cespedes from A's in exchange for A.J. Pollock and Tyler Skaggs
- ESPN.com baseball writer Jerry Crasnick: D-backs trying to acquire elite starting pitcher this winter
- Rays acquire C Hanigan, RHP Bell in 3-team trade
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday October 30Tim Kurkjian talks about Game 6 of the World Series Wednesday.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday October 29The Red Sox are one win away from winning the World Series.