Goldschmidt drives in 5 runs, D-backs beat Rockies
PHOENIX (AP) - Paul Goldschmidt homered and went 4 for 4, driving in career high-tying five runs Sunday to lead the Arizona Diamondbacks past the Colorado Rockies 8-2.
Colorado star Todd Helton did not play, a day announcing he would retire after this season. The crowd at Chase Field cheered him early in the game and he waved his cap in appreciation.
Goldschmidt had an RBI single in the first inning, hit a two-run homer in the third and added a two-run double in the fourth, all against Jhoulys Chacin (13-9).
Goldschmidt leads the NL with 114 RBIs.
Randall Delgado (5-6) allowed two runs and five hits in six innings for the Diamondbacks, who won have won three of four.
Pinch-hitter Charlie Culberson homered for the Rockies, who have lost two straight and seven of their past nine.
Chacin and the Rockies were behind nearly from the outset. Adam Eaton led off the first with an infield single, stole second and scored on Goldschmidt's single.
Goldschmidt hit a towering drive for his 32nd home run and a 3-0 lead in the third. He doubled home Chris Owings and Eaton to cap Arizona's three-run fourth and give the Diamondbacks a 6-0 lead.
Chacin lasted a season-low four innings, allowing six runs- four earned- on seven hits with three walks.
Culberson's first career pinch-hit home run pulled Colorado within 6-2 in the fifth. Matt Davidson hit his first career homer in the bottom half to make it 7-2.
Owings added an RBI single in the eighth.
NOTES: Goldschmidt's home run was his first since Aug. 20, ending a drought of 83 at-bats. ... Rockies SS Troy Tulowitzki was 2 for 4 and has seven hits in past 14 at-bats. ... Arizona RHP Trevor Cahill (6-10), who is 3-0 in five starts since returning from the disabled list on Aug. 17, will face LHP Hyun-Jin Ryu (13-6) and the Los Angeles Dodgers on Monday night. ... Rockies manager Walt Weiss has not announced a starter for Monday's game against St. Louis.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 9When is it time to make changes?