Goldschmidt drives in 5 runs, D-backs beat Rockies
PHOENIX (AP) - Paul Goldschmidt homered and went 4 for 4, driving in career high-tying five runs Sunday to lead the Arizona Diamondbacks past the Colorado Rockies 8-2.
Colorado star Todd Helton did not play, a day announcing he would retire after this season. The crowd at Chase Field cheered him early in the game and he waved his cap in appreciation.
Goldschmidt had an RBI single in the first inning, hit a two-run homer in the third and added a two-run double in the fourth, all against Jhoulys Chacin (13-9).
Goldschmidt leads the NL with 114 RBIs.
Randall Delgado (5-6) allowed two runs and five hits in six innings for the Diamondbacks, who won have won three of four.
Pinch-hitter Charlie Culberson homered for the Rockies, who have lost two straight and seven of their past nine.
Chacin and the Rockies were behind nearly from the outset. Adam Eaton led off the first with an infield single, stole second and scored on Goldschmidt's single.
Goldschmidt hit a towering drive for his 32nd home run and a 3-0 lead in the third. He doubled home Chris Owings and Eaton to cap Arizona's three-run fourth and give the Diamondbacks a 6-0 lead.
Chacin lasted a season-low four innings, allowing six runs- four earned- on seven hits with three walks.
Culberson's first career pinch-hit home run pulled Colorado within 6-2 in the fifth. Matt Davidson hit his first career homer in the bottom half to make it 7-2.
Owings added an RBI single in the eighth.
NOTES: Goldschmidt's home run was his first since Aug. 20, ending a drought of 83 at-bats. ... Rockies SS Troy Tulowitzki was 2 for 4 and has seven hits in past 14 at-bats. ... Arizona RHP Trevor Cahill (6-10), who is 3-0 in five starts since returning from the disabled list on Aug. 17, will face LHP Hyun-Jin Ryu (13-6) and the Los Angeles Dodgers on Monday night. ... Rockies manager Walt Weiss has not announced a starter for Monday's game against St. Louis.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill leaves early with knee injury vs. Cleveland
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 12Will Archie Bradley make the starting rotation?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.