ESPN's Tim Kurkjian stands behind Gibson, Towers
On Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Wednesday, Kurkjian said that Gibson and Towers deserve a reprieve as the team is just performing to its talent level.
"I guess you could make a case they didn't put the bullpen together properly. Maybe they didn't have enough starting pitching," Kurkjian said. "But I'm not about to fire the GM or the manager for, at this point, finishing about .500 without much more of a team than that."
Kurkjian also added that before the season began, he predicted the D-backs would finish third in the NL West with a record around the .500 mark, which is pretty much spot on for their actual performance.
The D-backs were in first place through most of the first half until the Los Angeles Dodgers overtook them on July 22. They currently sit 13 games back of the Dodgers.
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.