ESPN's Tim Kurkjian stands behind Gibson, Towers
On Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Wednesday, Kurkjian said that Gibson and Towers deserve a reprieve as the team is just performing to its talent level.
"I guess you could make a case they didn't put the bullpen together properly. Maybe they didn't have enough starting pitching," Kurkjian said. "But I'm not about to fire the GM or the manager for, at this point, finishing about .500 without much more of a team than that."
Kurkjian also added that before the season began, he predicted the D-backs would finish third in the NL West with a record around the .500 mark, which is pretty much spot on for their actual performance.
The D-backs were in first place through most of the first half until the Los Angeles Dodgers overtook them on July 22. They currently sit 13 games back of the Dodgers.
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.