Diamondbacks slip back to .500
At 72-72, the Diamondbacks are .500 for the first time since they were 1-1.
Despite once being nine games over .500, at 34-25 on June 5, Kirk Gibson's club has slowly, gradually slipped into mediocrity and out of playoff contention -- now standing 13 games back from the Dodgers, who they once held an 8.5 game lead over in the National League West, and nine games back of the Cincinnati Reds in the race for the second NL Wild Card.
Tuesday was the tenth time the Diamondbacks had faced falling to .500 this season and Wednesday will be just the second time they'll face the prospect of a losing record, the last time, of course, being back on April 2.
After going 15-12 in both April and May, the Diamondbacks went 12-15 in June, 13-13 in July, 14-13 in August and they're now 3-7 in September.
Back in June, the team was outscored 130-120 -- a marginal deficit when placed beside the current month's lackluster efforts. So far in September, the Diamondbacks have scored 23 runs while their opponents have scored 47 runs.
With their struggles, their elimination magic numbers are now at 6 and 9, respectively -- the former representing their standing in the NL West and the latter representing their chances at a Wild Card spot.
- D-backs go 3-4 on road trip, prepare for homestand vs. Phillies, Rockies
- D-backs' Mike Bolsinger shines in series finale at Wrigley: By The Numbers
- Bolsinger earns 1st MLB win, D-backs top Cubs
- D-backs place outfielder Mark Trumbo on 15-day D.L.
- Diamondbacks' Mark Trumbo out indefinitely with stress fracture in foot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president and CEO - Thursday April 24Did yesterday’s win save Kirk Gibson’s job?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.