D-backs' Kirk Gibson pleased with recent outings of Brandon McCarthy and Trevor Cahill
It hasn't exactly worked out that way for Trevor Cahill and Brandon McCarthy.
Both pitchers have spent time on the disabled list this season, and when they've been healthy, they've combined to go 10-19 with a 4.48 ERA in 39 starts.
But recently, both hurlers have turned around their on-field fortunes. McCarthy is 2-1 with a 1.88 ERA in his last three outings, and Cahill has gone 2-0 while posting a 2.42 ERA in his last four appearances, including three starts.
"The mechanics are better and they're not thinking about the mechanics as much on the mound," D-backs' manager Kirk Gibson told Burns and Gambo Tuesday on Arizona Sports 620. "When they weren't throwing the ball well mechanically, they just weren't very sound and the ball wasn't coming out of the same arm slot very often.
"That's a hard way to go and then you're trying to make corrections and you're thinking about that instead of just thinking about getting the guy out."
In his last outing Sunday against San Francisco, McCarthy pitched eight strong innings in a 2-1 D-backs' win.
"In McCarthy's last start, he was great, he threw eight innings," Gibson said. "He threw everything good and threw a ton of strikes -- he had like 70 strikes in almost 100 pitches -- that's a high percentage."
Cahill went five innings against the Giants last Thursday, allowing two runs and six hits on the way to his sixth win of the year, and third in a row.
"Cahill, he's been throwing the ball more consistently, but probably isn't as locked in as McCarthy is," Gibson said.
"Those are guys we count on throughout the year, they both got hurt and they didn't really give us what we needed early on, but right now, they're throwing the ball much better."
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Trumbo, Anderson dealt as winter meetings pick up
- Arizona Diamondbacks' GM Kevin Towers on why he traded Tyler Skaggs
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.