Diamondbacks beat Dodgers 4-1 to stop 5-game skid
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Paul Goldschmidt went 4 for 5 and drove in a pair of runs to help the Arizona Diamondbacks beat Los Angeles 4-1 Wednesday night, snapping a five-game skid against the Dodgers and avoiding a sweep.
Patrick Corbin (14-6) ended a three-game losing streak while improving to 2-0 in three starts at Dodger Stadium. The left-hander allowed one run and eight hits in 6 1-3 innings, striking out two and walking two.
Brad Ziegler pitched the ninth to earn his 10th save in 12 chances.
Hyun-Jin Ryu (13-6) gave up three runs and 10 hits- his second-most this season- while striking out one and walking none in his first start since Aug. 30. The left-hander missed his scheduled start last Friday because of a stiff back.
Willie Bloomquist was 3 for 5 with a run scored for Arizona. A.J. Pollock and Tuffy Gosewisch both were 2 for 4 with a run scored.
Arizona took a 2-0 lead in the first on Goldschmidt's RBI single, the third in a row given up by Ryu to open the game, and Martin Prado's double-play groundout.
Gosewisch's RBI double in the second made it 3-0.
Goldschmidt's RBI single off Brian Wilson in the seventh scored Gosewisch, who doubled off Brandon League, extending Arizona's lead to 4-0.
Los Angeles got its only run on Yasiel Puig's 16th homer, a towering shot into the Dodgers' bullpen in left, in the seventh.
Notes: The Dodgers turned four double plays. ... The Dodgers selected the contract of LHP Onelki Garcia from Triple-A Albuquerque and transferred RHP Shawn Tolleson to the 60-day DL. Garcia, who made his major league debut in the ninth, is expected to provide extra protection in the bullpen for leftys Paco Rodriguez and J.P. Howell. ... Corbin needs one start for 30 and three innings to reach 200, which would make him the youngest D-backs lefty in club history to do so. ... The 12th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks was marked by a moment of silence, a helicopter flyover and first responders lined up on the first and third base lines during pre-game ceremonies.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.