Diamondbacks beat Dodgers 4-1 to stop 5-game skid
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Paul Goldschmidt went 4 for 5 and drove in a pair of runs to help the Arizona Diamondbacks beat Los Angeles 4-1 Wednesday night, snapping a five-game skid against the Dodgers and avoiding a sweep.
Patrick Corbin (14-6) ended a three-game losing streak while improving to 2-0 in three starts at Dodger Stadium. The left-hander allowed one run and eight hits in 6 1-3 innings, striking out two and walking two.
Brad Ziegler pitched the ninth to earn his 10th save in 12 chances.
Hyun-Jin Ryu (13-6) gave up three runs and 10 hits- his second-most this season- while striking out one and walking none in his first start since Aug. 30. The left-hander missed his scheduled start last Friday because of a stiff back.
Willie Bloomquist was 3 for 5 with a run scored for Arizona. A.J. Pollock and Tuffy Gosewisch both were 2 for 4 with a run scored.
Arizona took a 2-0 lead in the first on Goldschmidt's RBI single, the third in a row given up by Ryu to open the game, and Martin Prado's double-play groundout.
Gosewisch's RBI double in the second made it 3-0.
Goldschmidt's RBI single off Brian Wilson in the seventh scored Gosewisch, who doubled off Brandon League, extending Arizona's lead to 4-0.
Los Angeles got its only run on Yasiel Puig's 16th homer, a towering shot into the Dodgers' bullpen in left, in the seventh.
Notes: The Dodgers turned four double plays. ... The Dodgers selected the contract of LHP Onelki Garcia from Triple-A Albuquerque and transferred RHP Shawn Tolleson to the 60-day DL. Garcia, who made his major league debut in the ninth, is expected to provide extra protection in the bullpen for leftys Paco Rodriguez and J.P. Howell. ... Corbin needs one start for 30 and three innings to reach 200, which would make him the youngest D-backs lefty in club history to do so. ... The 12th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks was marked by a moment of silence, a helicopter flyover and first responders lined up on the first and third base lines during pre-game ceremonies.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Could injuries force Archie Bradley into the starting rotation?
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill leaves early with knee injury vs. Cleveland
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 12Will Archie Bradley make the starting rotation?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.