Diamondbacks beat Dodgers 4-1 to stop 5-game skid
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Paul Goldschmidt went 4 for 5 and drove in a pair of runs to help the Arizona Diamondbacks beat Los Angeles 4-1 Wednesday night, snapping a five-game skid against the Dodgers and avoiding a sweep.
Patrick Corbin (14-6) ended a three-game losing streak while improving to 2-0 in three starts at Dodger Stadium. The left-hander allowed one run and eight hits in 6 1-3 innings, striking out two and walking two.
Brad Ziegler pitched the ninth to earn his 10th save in 12 chances.
Hyun-Jin Ryu (13-6) gave up three runs and 10 hits- his second-most this season- while striking out one and walking none in his first start since Aug. 30. The left-hander missed his scheduled start last Friday because of a stiff back.
Willie Bloomquist was 3 for 5 with a run scored for Arizona. A.J. Pollock and Tuffy Gosewisch both were 2 for 4 with a run scored.
Arizona took a 2-0 lead in the first on Goldschmidt's RBI single, the third in a row given up by Ryu to open the game, and Martin Prado's double-play groundout.
Gosewisch's RBI double in the second made it 3-0.
Goldschmidt's RBI single off Brian Wilson in the seventh scored Gosewisch, who doubled off Brandon League, extending Arizona's lead to 4-0.
Los Angeles got its only run on Yasiel Puig's 16th homer, a towering shot into the Dodgers' bullpen in left, in the seventh.
Notes: The Dodgers turned four double plays. ... The Dodgers selected the contract of LHP Onelki Garcia from Triple-A Albuquerque and transferred RHP Shawn Tolleson to the 60-day DL. Garcia, who made his major league debut in the ninth, is expected to provide extra protection in the bullpen for leftys Paco Rodriguez and J.P. Howell. ... Corbin needs one start for 30 and three innings to reach 200, which would make him the youngest D-backs lefty in club history to do so. ... The 12th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks was marked by a moment of silence, a helicopter flyover and first responders lined up on the first and third base lines during pre-game ceremonies.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona Diamondbacks trade Gerardo Parra to Milwaukee Brewers for prospects Mitch Haniger and Anthony Banda
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.