Petit nearly perfect as Giants beat D-Backs 3-0
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Yusmeiro Petit's bid for a perfect game was broken up by Eric Chavez's two-out single in the ninth inning, but the right-hander got the next batter to close out the San Francisco Giants' 3-0 victory over the Arizona Diamondbacks on Friday night.
Petit struck out Chris Owings to begin the ninth, and Gerardo Parra followed with a routine grounder to second. He then went to a full-count on Chavez, who dumped a pinch-hit single just in front of Hunter Pence in right field.
The crowd of 41,190 fans followed with a standing ovation for Petit, who struck out seven in his 95-pitch gem against his former team.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.