Petit nearly perfect as Giants beat D-Backs 3-0
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Yusmeiro Petit's bid for a perfect game was broken up by Eric Chavez's two-out single in the ninth inning, but the right-hander got the next batter to close out the San Francisco Giants' 3-0 victory over the Arizona Diamondbacks on Friday night.
Petit struck out Chris Owings to begin the ninth, and Gerardo Parra followed with a routine grounder to second. He then went to a full-count on Chavez, who dumped a pinch-hit single just in front of Hunter Pence in right field.
The crowd of 41,190 fans followed with a standing ovation for Petit, who struck out seven in his 95-pitch gem against his former team.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.