Petit nearly perfect as Giants beat D-Backs 3-0
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Yusmeiro Petit's bid for a perfect game was broken up by Eric Chavez's two-out single in the ninth inning, but the right-hander got the next batter to close out the San Francisco Giants' 3-0 victory over the Arizona Diamondbacks on Friday night.
Petit struck out Chris Owings to begin the ninth, and Gerardo Parra followed with a routine grounder to second. He then went to a full-count on Chavez, who dumped a pinch-hit single just in front of Hunter Pence in right field.
The crowd of 41,190 fans followed with a standing ovation for Petit, who struck out seven in his 95-pitch gem against his former team.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president and CEO - Thursday April 24Did yesterday’s win save Kirk Gibson’s job?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.