Petit nearly perfect as Giants beat D-Backs 3-0
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Yusmeiro Petit's bid for a perfect game was broken up by Eric Chavez's two-out single in the ninth inning, but the right-hander got the next batter to close out the San Francisco Giants' 3-0 victory over the Arizona Diamondbacks on Friday night.
Petit struck out Chris Owings to begin the ninth, and Gerardo Parra followed with a routine grounder to second. He then went to a full-count on Chavez, who dumped a pinch-hit single just in front of Hunter Pence in right field.
The crowd of 41,190 fans followed with a standing ovation for Petit, who struck out seven in his 95-pitch gem against his former team.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.