D-backs manager says Chris Owings deserves to be with the team
Owings was in the clubhouse and is available to play, but manager Kirk Gibson wouldn't commit to how much playing time Owings will see while with the D-backs.
"He just got here today, we'll see how the guys are playing, who's hurt, who's not hurt, who's on the mound. I'm not going to put him into a situation that I think would be tough on him," said Gibson when asked about the 22-year-old during his pre-game media session Tuesday. "He's going to be obviously excited and I think initially get him in here and get him adjusted to the schedule and what goes on and get him comfortable first. I mean, he may go into the game tonight, I'm not saying he will but I did not think about starting him tonight."
Owings has built quite the resume since joining the D-backs in 2009 as Arizona's supplemental first-round selection, number 41 overall.
"You guys know him pretty well; he's been in the organization. He's played shortstop and second base down there this year, MVP, rookie of the year. It's just been a progression of development throughout the organization," said Gibson of why he likes Owings.
As Gibson said, Owings was named the 2013 Pacific Coast League MVP and Rookie of the year after batting .330 with 31 doubles, eight triples, 12 home runs and 81 RBIs in 125 games for the Aces.
"He deserved to come here and we have an urge and a need to see him up here in this environment and we know he can benefit from being up here," Gibson added. "There will probably be a spot or two where he can probably help us and we'll try to get him into those situations."
Owings also finished the season leading the PCL in hits, runs scored and total bases. He'll wear number 16 for the Diamondbacks.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.