Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Patrick Corbin: Location not fatigue is the reason for rough stretch
The first contains a 12-1 start, an All-Star Game appearance and conversations of Cy Young Award contention alongside the likes of Clayton Kershaw and Matt Harvey.
The second and more recent one reads of a 1-4 record with 25 runs and 49 hits allowed in his last seven starts.
So what's to blame for the 23-year-old's recent plot change? If you ask Corbin, it's apparently not the fatigue of playing in his first full season in the majors.
"I feel fine," Corbin said after Sunday's 8-2 loss to the San Francisco Giants. "I know it's baseball. It's tough. It can be as good as it can get and as bad just as fast. The last two games, I just haven't been as sharp. I just need to worry about locating and I'll try to work on that in my bullpen."
While recent history might suggest otherwise -- allowed five or more earned runs in consecutive games for the first time this season -- Corbin also has been a hard-luck loser twice (threw quality outings on July 28 against Padres and Aug. 3 against Red Sox) during the seven-start stretch.
When asked if he had discussed the possibility of scaling back his workload over the final month of the season with manager Kirk Gibson, the D-backs' de facto ace said he didn't believe such a plan was in his near future.
"My arm feels great, this is just later in the season that this is happen," said Corbin. "I feel fine and want to keep going out there and pitch. Hopefully get some better innings under my belt."
Corbin, who holds the sixth-best ERA (2.96) in the National League, is scheduled to make his next start Friday in San Francisco. Including Sunday's outing, the left-hander is 0-1 with a 3.66 ERA in three starts this season against the Giants.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?