D-backs recall pitchers David Hernandez, Tony Sipp in first wave of September call-ups
Both players began the season with the big league club, but struggled over the course of the season, with Hernandez accumulating a 5.59 ERA with five blown saves (six losses) while Sipp had a 3.94 ERA with the Diamondbacks, allowing 31% of the runners he inherited to score.
General manager Kevin Towers and the Diamondbacks optioned Hernandez to Reno on August 11. While with the Aces, the 28-year-old Hernandez tallied 12 strikeouts in 9.2 innings pitched, compiling a 0.93 ERA with two saves.
Sipp, 30, was designated for assignment earlier in the season, then optioned to Reno on August 4. There, he managed to hold opponents scoreless in eight of his nine appearances, compiling a 0.90 ERA in 10.0 innings pitched while striking out 12.
Following the moves, the Diamondbacks' active roster stands at 27.
- Report: D-backs bring back 3B Eric Chavez for 2014 season
- D-backs GM: Archie Bradley has chance to be 'special in a hurry'
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks have not signed reliever Jose Valverde to minor-league deal
- Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers: 'There will be competition' for closer spot
- Report: RHP Addison Reed could be flipped for future trade
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs Pitcher - Wednesday December 18D-backs trying to win now, Ziggy talks about what that means for the clubhouse.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.