ESPN's Tim Kurkjian praises Diamondbacks' Martin Prado, Didi Gregorius
When asked about Prado, Kurkjian talked about the effect he has on the rest of the lineup when he gets going.
"I know Martin Prado, how much he meant to the Braves over the years," Kurkjian said. "Chipper Jones told me many times, when he starts hitting the whole team does. It's a gift he has, a real effect, and I think you see it with this team."
Since the All-Star break, Prado is hitting .361 and has 16 walks to only 9 strikeouts. Prado came over in the trade that sent Justin Upton and Chris Johnson to the Atlanta Braves.
The topic was raised in response to Gambo's column on ArizonaSports.com that gave D-backs general manager Kevin Towers positive grades on the deals that landed the players.
Regarding Gregorius, whom the D-backs acquired for pitcher Trevor Bauer, Kurkjain brought up his defensive value and pointed at how few hitters hit .300 in today's MLB.
"The point is teams have gone back to pitching and defense and if you can't catch it anymore, especially at the key skill positions, you are simply not going to win," Kurkjian said. "And Didi Gregorius, he can catch the ball, he can throw it and he can get to it."
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.