ESPN's Tim Kurkjian praises Diamondbacks' Martin Prado, Didi Gregorius
When asked about Prado, Kurkjian talked about the effect he has on the rest of the lineup when he gets going.
"I know Martin Prado, how much he meant to the Braves over the years," Kurkjian said. "Chipper Jones told me many times, when he starts hitting the whole team does. It's a gift he has, a real effect, and I think you see it with this team."
Since the All-Star break, Prado is hitting .361 and has 16 walks to only 9 strikeouts. Prado came over in the trade that sent Justin Upton and Chris Johnson to the Atlanta Braves.
The topic was raised in response to Gambo's column on ArizonaSports.com that gave D-backs general manager Kevin Towers positive grades on the deals that landed the players.
Regarding Gregorius, whom the D-backs acquired for pitcher Trevor Bauer, Kurkjain brought up his defensive value and pointed at how few hitters hit .300 in today's MLB.
"The point is teams have gone back to pitching and defense and if you can't catch it anymore, especially at the key skill positions, you are simply not going to win," Kurkjian said. "And Didi Gregorius, he can catch the ball, he can throw it and he can get to it."
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.