ESPN's Tim Kurkjian praises Diamondbacks' Martin Prado, Didi Gregorius
When asked about Prado, Kurkjian talked about the effect he has on the rest of the lineup when he gets going.
"I know Martin Prado, how much he meant to the Braves over the years," Kurkjian said. "Chipper Jones told me many times, when he starts hitting the whole team does. It's a gift he has, a real effect, and I think you see it with this team."
Since the All-Star break, Prado is hitting .361 and has 16 walks to only 9 strikeouts. Prado came over in the trade that sent Justin Upton and Chris Johnson to the Atlanta Braves.
The topic was raised in response to Gambo's column on ArizonaSports.com that gave D-backs general manager Kevin Towers positive grades on the deals that landed the players.
Regarding Gregorius, whom the D-backs acquired for pitcher Trevor Bauer, Kurkjain brought up his defensive value and pointed at how few hitters hit .300 in today's MLB.
"The point is teams have gone back to pitching and defense and if you can't catch it anymore, especially at the key skill positions, you are simply not going to win," Kurkjian said. "And Didi Gregorius, he can catch the ball, he can throw it and he can get to it."
- Reserve outfielder Tony Campana supplies spark during D-backs' sluggish start
- Hill, Diamondbacks top Dodgers in extra innings
- Diamondbacks exorcise some demons in win over Dodgers
- D-backs break winless streak, beat Dodgers in extras: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Cody Ross goes hitless in season debut
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.