ESPN's Tim Kurkjian praises Diamondbacks' Martin Prado, Didi Gregorius
When asked about Prado, Kurkjian talked about the effect he has on the rest of the lineup when he gets going.
"I know Martin Prado, how much he meant to the Braves over the years," Kurkjian said. "Chipper Jones told me many times, when he starts hitting the whole team does. It's a gift he has, a real effect, and I think you see it with this team."
Since the All-Star break, Prado is hitting .361 and has 16 walks to only 9 strikeouts. Prado came over in the trade that sent Justin Upton and Chris Johnson to the Atlanta Braves.
The topic was raised in response to Gambo's column on ArizonaSports.com that gave D-backs general manager Kevin Towers positive grades on the deals that landed the players.
Regarding Gregorius, whom the D-backs acquired for pitcher Trevor Bauer, Kurkjain brought up his defensive value and pointed at how few hitters hit .300 in today's MLB.
"The point is teams have gone back to pitching and defense and if you can't catch it anymore, especially at the key skill positions, you are simply not going to win," Kurkjian said. "And Didi Gregorius, he can catch the ball, he can throw it and he can get to it."
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.