Diamondbacks activate Bloomquist off disabled list
Bloomquist, who had been on the DL since July 2 due to a left hand contusion, is in the starting lineup at shortstop for the team's game against the San Diego Padres Wednesday night. He sustained the injury when he was hit by a pitch on June 26 in a game against the Washington Nationals. On the season, Bloomquist is hitting .292 with 8 RBI in 22 games.
"I feel great," Bloomquist said Wednesday. "I've really felt great since the day they started letting me swing the bat. I haven't had, knock on wood, any setbacks or anything with it. I think we let it heal up the right amount of time and did the proper amount of rehabilitation stuff on it. So, the hand feels great."
Holmberg made his first Major League start Tuesday, lasting 3.2 innings and allowing 3 runs. In Double-A, Holmberg sports a 5-7 record with a 2.66 ERA.
"I thought he kept his composure really well considering what went on with the first play and second play [of the game]," D-backs manager Kirk Gibson said of Holmberg's outing. "Even though they got three runs off of him, he held his composure and kept pitching.
"I think it was a tough zone for both pitchers last night, and he dealt with it. I think he learned a lot."
- Miley struggles in opener, Phillies top D-backs: By The Numbers
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.