Diamondbacks activate Bloomquist off disabled list
Bloomquist, who had been on the DL since July 2 due to a left hand contusion, is in the starting lineup at shortstop for the team's game against the San Diego Padres Wednesday night. He sustained the injury when he was hit by a pitch on June 26 in a game against the Washington Nationals. On the season, Bloomquist is hitting .292 with 8 RBI in 22 games.
"I feel great," Bloomquist said Wednesday. "I've really felt great since the day they started letting me swing the bat. I haven't had, knock on wood, any setbacks or anything with it. I think we let it heal up the right amount of time and did the proper amount of rehabilitation stuff on it. So, the hand feels great."
Holmberg made his first Major League start Tuesday, lasting 3.2 innings and allowing 3 runs. In Double-A, Holmberg sports a 5-7 record with a 2.66 ERA.
"I thought he kept his composure really well considering what went on with the first play and second play [of the game]," D-backs manager Kirk Gibson said of Holmberg's outing. "Even though they got three runs off of him, he held his composure and kept pitching.
"I think it was a tough zone for both pitchers last night, and he dealt with it. I think he learned a lot."
- Four-run fifth inning does in McCarthy, D-backs in loss to Cubs: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: 'If we don't start winning, I should be held accountable'
- Diamondbacks didn't have a chance after Sydney
- Prospect Archie Bradley struggles in latest outing
- Wood homers, allows 1 run in Cubs' win
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.