Diamondbacks activate Bloomquist off disabled list
Bloomquist, who had been on the DL since July 2 due to a left hand contusion, is in the starting lineup at shortstop for the team's game against the San Diego Padres Wednesday night. He sustained the injury when he was hit by a pitch on June 26 in a game against the Washington Nationals. On the season, Bloomquist is hitting .292 with 8 RBI in 22 games.
"I feel great," Bloomquist said Wednesday. "I've really felt great since the day they started letting me swing the bat. I haven't had, knock on wood, any setbacks or anything with it. I think we let it heal up the right amount of time and did the proper amount of rehabilitation stuff on it. So, the hand feels great."
Holmberg made his first Major League start Tuesday, lasting 3.2 innings and allowing 3 runs. In Double-A, Holmberg sports a 5-7 record with a 2.66 ERA.
"I thought he kept his composure really well considering what went on with the first play and second play [of the game]," D-backs manager Kirk Gibson said of Holmberg's outing. "Even though they got three runs off of him, he held his composure and kept pitching.
"I think it was a tough zone for both pitchers last night, and he dealt with it. I think he learned a lot."
- Collmenter, D-backs down Padres, snap losing streak
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter dazzles in D-backs' win over Padres
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.