D-backs GM Towers: Heath Bell is a 'nice guy to have'
Right behind Johnson on the blown saves list is Tampa Bay's Fernando Rodney, who has 30 saves to go along with eight blown chances.
In a tie for third place is Arizona's Heath Bell, who has seven blown seven saves this year.
However, that does not mean D-backs GM Kevin Towers has soured on the 35-year-old pitcher, whom he calls "everybody's whipping boy."
"People like to beat up on Heath Bell but he's a nice guy to have," Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "You can't put a price on a guy that, each and every night, he's going to take the ball."
The D-backs, who traded for Bell in the offseason, owe the reliever $13 million for 2013 and 2014.
Bell has appeared in 60 games thus far in his first season with the D-backs. He has a 5-2 record to go along with a 3.81 ERA. He's struck out 63 batters in 56.2 innings pitched while allowing 10 home runs.
The veteran has had stretches where he's been downright dominant, but he's also had times where he's been really hittable. It's averaged out some, and the way Towers sees it, Bell's versatility and stamina make him as valuable as many other pitchers who may be having a bit more success.
"Is he the Heath Bell that he was when I had him in San Diego, probably not," Towers stated. "But I still don't think he's quite as bad as everybody thinks he is and I'm glad we have him at times."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?