Updated Aug 28, 2013 - 11:22 am
D-backs GM: Bullpen's failures wear on everyday players
But while his relievers have combined for the most blown saves in all of baseball (26), they've also helped the D-backs to a 15-5 record in extra-inning games.
The 'pen has failed -- repeatedly. It has also then bounced back -- repeatedly.
"We've got the type of team that won't give up," Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "Over a period of time it wears on everybody.
"It wears on the everyday players -- the extra innings that they have to be out there."
And that doesn't even include the amount of innings the pitchers themselves have been forced to throw, which is a number that leads baseball by a substantial margin.
Towers noted that the home run has really hurt his relievers, and it's true. The bullpen has allowed 42 long balls this season, with Heath Bell and David Hernandez leading the way with 10 apiece.
That wasn't what cost the team Tuesday, as the Padres used a combination of walks and hits to come back to tie the game twice in the late innings.
And sure, the D-backs went on to win in the 10th inning, but Towers would certainly rather see his team lock down leads and win in regulation.
"It's been one guy, usually, giving up maybe one walk and a long ball," he said of what's ailed the 'pen. "If we could somehow get those same guys, get them to keep the ball in the ballpark, the bullpen should straighten out."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Diamondbacks upend Rockies in series opener: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: Daniel Hudson, Chris Owings, A.J. Pollock, Cody Ross may return soon
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.