Updated Aug 28, 2013 - 11:22 am
D-backs GM: Bullpen's failures wear on everyday players
But while his relievers have combined for the most blown saves in all of baseball (26), they've also helped the D-backs to a 15-5 record in extra-inning games.
The 'pen has failed -- repeatedly. It has also then bounced back -- repeatedly.
"We've got the type of team that won't give up," Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "Over a period of time it wears on everybody.
"It wears on the everyday players -- the extra innings that they have to be out there."
And that doesn't even include the amount of innings the pitchers themselves have been forced to throw, which is a number that leads baseball by a substantial margin.
Towers noted that the home run has really hurt his relievers, and it's true. The bullpen has allowed 42 long balls this season, with Heath Bell and David Hernandez leading the way with 10 apiece.
That wasn't what cost the team Tuesday, as the Padres used a combination of walks and hits to come back to tie the game twice in the late innings.
And sure, the D-backs went on to win in the 10th inning, but Towers would certainly rather see his team lock down leads and win in regulation.
"It's been one guy, usually, giving up maybe one walk and a long ball," he said of what's ailed the 'pen. "If we could somehow get those same guys, get them to keep the ball in the ballpark, the bullpen should straighten out."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?