Updated Aug 28, 2013 - 11:22 am
D-backs GM: Bullpen's failures wear on everyday players
But while his relievers have combined for the most blown saves in all of baseball (26), they've also helped the D-backs to a 15-5 record in extra-inning games.
The 'pen has failed -- repeatedly. It has also then bounced back -- repeatedly.
"We've got the type of team that won't give up," Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "Over a period of time it wears on everybody.
"It wears on the everyday players -- the extra innings that they have to be out there."
And that doesn't even include the amount of innings the pitchers themselves have been forced to throw, which is a number that leads baseball by a substantial margin.
Towers noted that the home run has really hurt his relievers, and it's true. The bullpen has allowed 42 long balls this season, with Heath Bell and David Hernandez leading the way with 10 apiece.
That wasn't what cost the team Tuesday, as the Padres used a combination of walks and hits to come back to tie the game twice in the late innings.
And sure, the D-backs went on to win in the 10th inning, but Towers would certainly rather see his team lock down leads and win in regulation.
"It's been one guy, usually, giving up maybe one walk and a long ball," he said of what's ailed the 'pen. "If we could somehow get those same guys, get them to keep the ball in the ballpark, the bullpen should straighten out."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.