David Holmberg struggles in major league debut for Arizona Diamondbacks
David Holmberg struggled in his big league debut for the Arizona Diamondbacks against the San Diego Padres on Tuesday night at Chase Field.
The 22-year-old southpaw's nerves were apparent during a rocky first inning. He allowed three runs on four hits with one walk and no strikeouts in the opening frame.
Holmberg never quite found his groove, laboring through 3.2 innings of work. He surrendered three runs on six hits with three walks and no strikeouts on the night.
"I was excited, I had a good time out there," Holmberg said following Arizona's 10-9 win Tuesday. "It was good to see the fans out there, and after that first pitch, I kind of settled in and it was good from there."
The left-hander went 5-7 with a 2.66 ERA with 115 strikeouts and 47 walks in 152.1 innings pitched for the Double-A Mobile BayBears.
The D-backs acquired Holmberg from the Chicago White Sox in a trade that brought Daniel Hudson to Arizona in 2010.
Holmberg became the fifth pitcher in the D-backs' system to make his major league debut in 2013.
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.