Arizona Diamondbacks' Martin Prado attributes turnaround to comfort -- and his mother
Having come to the Arizona Diamondbacks from the Atlanta Braves by way of a blockbuster trade, he likely tried too hard to impress a new group of people.
So, when he hit .217 in April, things were bad. His play picked up in May, as he hit .313, but when he batted just .209 in June it seemed like this season would go down as one of the worst in his eight-year Major League Baseball career.
"In the past, in baseball, when somebody got traded it's a transition that, actually, people don't see," Prado told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday. "It's kind of hard. You're going to change your routine, you change your city, change your people, you've got to get to know everybody."
Prado said the quicker one can adjust to it all the better, but it took a little longer because he was working so hard to fit in.
Things turned around for Prado in July, though, and he's been one of the National League's best hitters since the All-Star break.
He attributes much of his newfound success to his mother, who moved to Arizona the day after the All-Star break and has been with him the last couple months.
Saying that his mom was always there for him after a rough game when he was a child, Prado said her being around now for extra support has been real helpful.
"When you hear...the way she talks...she's got the right things at that moment that make you feel better," Prado said. "There's nothing better than that."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Report: Daniel Hudson signs minor league deal with Arizona Diamodnbacks
- Kurkjian: Trumbo ‘absolutely' worth a shot for D-backs
- D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.