David Holmberg to make MLB debut for Arizona Diamondbacks Tuesday
Tuesday night, they will.
"David Holmberg is on his way," manager Kirk Gibson announced following Monday's 6-1 win over the San Diego Padres at Chase Field.
The 22-year-old left-hander will make his Major League debut against the Padres Tuesday night.
"He's been throwing the ball good and you want somebody who has the ability to throw any pitch at any time, and that's kind of who he is," Gibson said. "He's not David Wells yet, but he's got a curveball, slider, changeup and moves his fastball around and knows how to pitch.
"Again, we've been a good defensive team, so if he can keep the ball in play and let us take care of it, we like our chances."
Holmberg, whom the Diamondbacks acquired in 2010 from the Chicago White Sox in the Daniel Hudson trade, has spent the entire 2013 season at Double-A Mobile. In 25 minor league starts, Holmberg is 5-7 with a 2.66 ERA and 115 strikeouts and 47 walkes in 152.1 innings of work. He ranks fourth in the Southern League in ERA and second in innings pitched.
The former second-round pick last pitched August 21 when he threw seven scoreless innings and allowed just three hits in a 1-0 win over the Jackson Generals.
Holmberg will become the fifth D-backs pitcher to make his big league debut in 2013, joining Charles Brewer, Eury De La Rosa, Chaz Roe and Zeke Spruill.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.