David Holmberg to make MLB debut for Arizona Diamondbacks Tuesday
Tuesday night, they will.
"David Holmberg is on his way," manager Kirk Gibson announced following Monday's 6-1 win over the San Diego Padres at Chase Field.
The 22-year-old left-hander will make his Major League debut against the Padres Tuesday night.
"He's been throwing the ball good and you want somebody who has the ability to throw any pitch at any time, and that's kind of who he is," Gibson said. "He's not David Wells yet, but he's got a curveball, slider, changeup and moves his fastball around and knows how to pitch.
"Again, we've been a good defensive team, so if he can keep the ball in play and let us take care of it, we like our chances."
Holmberg, whom the Diamondbacks acquired in 2010 from the Chicago White Sox in the Daniel Hudson trade, has spent the entire 2013 season at Double-A Mobile. In 25 minor league starts, Holmberg is 5-7 with a 2.66 ERA and 115 strikeouts and 47 walkes in 152.1 innings of work. He ranks fourth in the Southern League in ERA and second in innings pitched.
The former second-round pick last pitched August 21 when he threw seven scoreless innings and allowed just three hits in a 1-0 win over the Jackson Generals.
Holmberg will become the fifth D-backs pitcher to make his big league debut in 2013, joining Charles Brewer, Eury De La Rosa, Chaz Roe and Zeke Spruill.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Collmenter, D-backs down Padres, snap losing streak
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter dazzles in D-backs' win over Padres
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.