Arizona Diamondbacks activate Miguel Montero and Eric Chavez off disabled list
To make room for the veterans, infielder Matt Davidson and catcher Tuffy Gosewisch were optioned to Triple-A Reno.
Montero had been on the DL since Aug. 1 dealing with a lower back strain, while Chavez was out beginning on Aug. 11 with a left knee strain. Both players rehabbed with the AZL D-backs before being activated.
On the season, Montero is hitting .228 with 9 home runs and at the time of his injury was second in the league in innings caught with 796.1. Chavez sports a .299 batting average with 9 home runs and 40 RBI in 62 games for the Diamondbacks this season.
Davidson hit .178 with 2 RBI over 12 games with the Diamondbacks, while Gosewisch hit .185 with 1 RBI in eight games.
The D-backs begin a three-game series at home against the San Diego Padres Monday night.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.