Arizona Diamondbacks activate Miguel Montero and Eric Chavez off disabled list
To make room for the veterans, infielder Matt Davidson and catcher Tuffy Gosewisch were optioned to Triple-A Reno.
Montero had been on the DL since Aug. 1 dealing with a lower back strain, while Chavez was out beginning on Aug. 11 with a left knee strain. Both players rehabbed with the AZL D-backs before being activated.
On the season, Montero is hitting .228 with 9 home runs and at the time of his injury was second in the league in innings caught with 796.1. Chavez sports a .299 batting average with 9 home runs and 40 RBI in 62 games for the Diamondbacks this season.
Davidson hit .178 with 2 RBI over 12 games with the Diamondbacks, while Gosewisch hit .185 with 1 RBI in eight games.
The D-backs begin a three-game series at home against the San Diego Padres Monday night.
- ESPN analyst Kurkjian: Arizona Diamondbacks 'not doing anything right'
- D-backs' Derrick Hall: Losses mounting because players are pressing
- D-backs prospect Archie Bradley struggles in latest start
- D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
- D-backs swept by Mets; end winless homestand
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.