Arizona Diamondbacks activate Miguel Montero and Eric Chavez off disabled list
To make room for the veterans, infielder Matt Davidson and catcher Tuffy Gosewisch were optioned to Triple-A Reno.
Montero had been on the DL since Aug. 1 dealing with a lower back strain, while Chavez was out beginning on Aug. 11 with a left knee strain. Both players rehabbed with the AZL D-backs before being activated.
On the season, Montero is hitting .228 with 9 home runs and at the time of his injury was second in the league in innings caught with 796.1. Chavez sports a .299 batting average with 9 home runs and 40 RBI in 62 games for the Diamondbacks this season.
Davidson hit .178 with 2 RBI over 12 games with the Diamondbacks, while Gosewisch hit .185 with 1 RBI in eight games.
The D-backs begin a three-game series at home against the San Diego Padres Monday night.
- Miley struggles in opener, Phillies top D-backs: By The Numbers
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.