Arizona Diamondbacks activate Miguel Montero and Eric Chavez off disabled list
To make room for the veterans, infielder Matt Davidson and catcher Tuffy Gosewisch were optioned to Triple-A Reno.
Montero had been on the DL since Aug. 1 dealing with a lower back strain, while Chavez was out beginning on Aug. 11 with a left knee strain. Both players rehabbed with the AZL D-backs before being activated.
On the season, Montero is hitting .228 with 9 home runs and at the time of his injury was second in the league in innings caught with 796.1. Chavez sports a .299 batting average with 9 home runs and 40 RBI in 62 games for the Diamondbacks this season.
Davidson hit .178 with 2 RBI over 12 games with the Diamondbacks, while Gosewisch hit .185 with 1 RBI in eight games.
The D-backs begin a three-game series at home against the San Diego Padres Monday night.
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.