Vogelsong helps Giants beat Pirates 4-0
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Ryan Vogelsong threw eight sharp innings for his first victory in three months, helping the San Francisco Giants beat the Pittsburgh Pirates 4-0 on Sunday.
Pablo Sandoval had two RBIs as the Giants won their second straight to split the series with the Pirates. Buster Posey and Joaquin Arias each drove in a run.
Vogelsong (3-4) allowed two hits, struck out five and walked one in his first win since May 20 against Washington. The right-hander used his longest outing of the season to lower his ERA to 2.55 in four starts since coming off the disabled list on Aug. 9.
A.J. Burnett (6-9) pitched 7 1-3 innings for Pittsburgh, giving up four runs and eight hits. He fell to 2-3 in 10 starts since returning from the DL.
Sandy Rosario finished the three-hitter for San Francisco's 11th shutout. The Pirates, who are tied with St. Louis for the NL Central lead, have been shut out nine times this season.
Vogelsong, who recorded his first decision since coming off the disabled list, faced just two over the minimum, retiring eight of the final nine batters he faced.
Burnett was nearly as good until running into trouble late. He retired six straight after Posey's RBI single and then retired six straight again before Posey's single in the eighth.
The Giants scored their first run in the third. After two outs, Gregor Blanco walked and Brandon Crawford singled ahead of Posey's single.
The Pirates had two runners reach as far as second against Vogelsong, and just once with less than two outs.
The Giants put the game with three more runs in the eighth.
Posey and Hunter Pence singled around an infield groundout and Sandoval drilled a triple into the deepest part of the ballpark. Arias added an RBI double against Tony Watson.
NOTES: Giants RHP Matt Cain will join LHP Jeremy Affeldt in Arizona to continue rehabbing. Cain is expected to begin throwing again this week while Affeldt will throw a bullpen session on Monday. ... LHP Barry Zito (4-9, 5.63 ERA) will start for the Giants on Monday night at Colorado. He's 0-3 with an 11.20 ERA in his last four starts. ... LHP Jeff Locke (9-4, 3.01 ERA) gets the start for the Pirates when they begin a series against Milwaukee on Tuesday night. He's 1-2 in seven starts since the All-Star break. ... Pirates OF Andrew McCutchen has hit safely in 10 of his last 11 games against the Giants. ... Posey collected RBIs in back-to-back games for the first time since July 19-20. ... The Pirates are 5-0-2 in series of at least four games. ... The Giants finished 11-23 against the NL Central, the second-worst record of any NL team against that division.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 9When is it time to make changes?