Diamondbacks GM Towers: Brandon McCarthy, Trevor Cahill could be the difference
"Two guys that, hey, if they pitch to their norm we're a pretty darn good team," Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "I think we've seen moments of it with McCarthy before he got hurt, but if we get these guys back on track they're two real key guys to our rotation."
That rotation, which includes ace Patrick Corbin, surging lefty Wade Miley and Randall Delgado, could be key in getting the D-backs back into the playoffs for the first time since 2011. After all, going into the season it was thought to be a strength, but for the most part all it has been is an inconsistent headache.
"If we get the McCarthy of old and the Cahill of old, where they're throwing strikes and their confidence comes back, then that last month of the season we really become a force, I think not only in the West, but for the Wild Card position," Towers added.
Beginning play Wednesday, the D-backs, at 65-59, are 7.5 games back of the Dodgers in the NL West and five games behind the Reds in the Wild Card Race.
So needless to say, McCarthy and Cahill -- Arizona's starters the next two games against the Cincinnati Reds -- are kind of important.
Because as Towers sees it, his team needs to get upwards of 90 wins if it is to be playing past game 162.
"To me, when you get to this point of time in the year, we really can't pay attention to what the Dodgers are doing until we play them head-to-head," he said. "The Central right now, you've got three real good teams that are vying for that top spot in the Central; they don't want to be a Wild Card so they may beat each other up.
"So for us, it's just win series. We can't lose any series from here on out."
That includes the one the D-backs are currently in the midst of.
"We need to, at worst, split with Cincinnati where we don't lose ground, but preferably win three out of four where we pick up games," Towers said. "Because you start running out of games as the schedule starts going, so I think if we can somehow win the next two then win the series against Philadelphia, I think we should be in good position when we go home for that nine, 10-game home stand."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Two Diamondbacks scouts named among Baseball America's scouts of the year
- Report: Diamondbacks in serious discussions about acquiring Angels outfielder Mark Trumbo
- Report: D-backs tried to land Yoenis Cespedes from A's in exchange for A.J. Pollock and Tyler Skaggs
- ESPN.com baseball writer Jerry Crasnick: D-backs trying to acquire elite starting pitcher this winter
- Rays acquire C Hanigan, RHP Bell in 3-team trade
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday October 30Tim Kurkjian talks about Game 6 of the World Series Wednesday.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday October 29The Red Sox are one win away from winning the World Series.