Grit Index: D-backs score season-high 15 runs in win over Pirates
The D-backs pounded out 20 hits, including two home runs from Martin Prado and Paul Goldschmidt as they defeated the Pirates by a final of 15-5.
Prado went 4-for-5 with a three-run home run, his 11th of the season, in the third inning off of Pirates' starter Jeff Locke. Goldschmidt stroked a three-run shot of his own in the ninth to tie Pittsburgh third baseman Pedro Alvarez, who hit his 30th earlier in the game, for the National League lead.
Prado's blast in the third highlighted a six-run inning for Arizona. The D-backs' third baseman has 13 RBIs in his last 10 games.
Goldschmidt went 3-for-6 on the day, capped by his ninth inning homer. Didi Gregorius broke out of a 2-for-29 slump with three hits for the Snakes.
D-backs' starter Trevor Cahill (4-10) notched the win, his first since May 17. The right-hander, who was sidelined with a bruised right hip, was activated from the disabled list before the contest. He allowed four earned runs on seven hits with four strikeouts and one walk in five innings of work.
Locke struggled mightily against the D-backs in his start for Pittsburgh on Saturday. The All-Star southpaw surrendered eight earned runs -- and one home run -- on 10 hits with three walks and two punchouts in just 2.2 innings of work.
- The D-backs notched their fourth win in their past five games.
- Prado's four-hit day tied a career high for the ninth time in his career.
- Locke is winless in his last four starts for Pittsburgh. The Pirates have now lost six of eight.
The D-backs and Pirates will conclude their three-game set on Sunday, August 17 at 10:35 a.m. Left-hander Wade Miley (9-8, 3.63) will get the start for the D-backs. He will be opposed by right-hander Charlie Morton (4-3, 3.79) for the Pirates. The game can be heard on Arizona Sports 620.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.