Grit Index: D-backs score season-high 15 runs in win over Pirates
The D-backs pounded out 20 hits, including two home runs from Martin Prado and Paul Goldschmidt as they defeated the Pirates by a final of 15-5.
Prado went 4-for-5 with a three-run home run, his 11th of the season, in the third inning off of Pirates' starter Jeff Locke. Goldschmidt stroked a three-run shot of his own in the ninth to tie Pittsburgh third baseman Pedro Alvarez, who hit his 30th earlier in the game, for the National League lead.
Prado's blast in the third highlighted a six-run inning for Arizona. The D-backs' third baseman has 13 RBIs in his last 10 games.
Goldschmidt went 3-for-6 on the day, capped by his ninth inning homer. Didi Gregorius broke out of a 2-for-29 slump with three hits for the Snakes.
D-backs' starter Trevor Cahill (4-10) notched the win, his first since May 17. The right-hander, who was sidelined with a bruised right hip, was activated from the disabled list before the contest. He allowed four earned runs on seven hits with four strikeouts and one walk in five innings of work.
Locke struggled mightily against the D-backs in his start for Pittsburgh on Saturday. The All-Star southpaw surrendered eight earned runs -- and one home run -- on 10 hits with three walks and two punchouts in just 2.2 innings of work.
- The D-backs notched their fourth win in their past five games.
- Prado's four-hit day tied a career high for the ninth time in his career.
- Locke is winless in his last four starts for Pittsburgh. The Pirates have now lost six of eight.
The D-backs and Pirates will conclude their three-game set on Sunday, August 17 at 10:35 a.m. Left-hander Wade Miley (9-8, 3.63) will get the start for the D-backs. He will be opposed by right-hander Charlie Morton (4-3, 3.79) for the Pirates. The game can be heard on Arizona Sports 620.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Trumbo, Anderson dealt as winter meetings pick up
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.