Grit Index: D-backs score season-high 15 runs in win over Pirates
The D-backs pounded out 20 hits, including two home runs from Martin Prado and Paul Goldschmidt as they defeated the Pirates by a final of 15-5.
Prado went 4-for-5 with a three-run home run, his 11th of the season, in the third inning off of Pirates' starter Jeff Locke. Goldschmidt stroked a three-run shot of his own in the ninth to tie Pittsburgh third baseman Pedro Alvarez, who hit his 30th earlier in the game, for the National League lead.
Prado's blast in the third highlighted a six-run inning for Arizona. The D-backs' third baseman has 13 RBIs in his last 10 games.
Goldschmidt went 3-for-6 on the day, capped by his ninth inning homer. Didi Gregorius broke out of a 2-for-29 slump with three hits for the Snakes.
D-backs' starter Trevor Cahill (4-10) notched the win, his first since May 17. The right-hander, who was sidelined with a bruised right hip, was activated from the disabled list before the contest. He allowed four earned runs on seven hits with four strikeouts and one walk in five innings of work.
Locke struggled mightily against the D-backs in his start for Pittsburgh on Saturday. The All-Star southpaw surrendered eight earned runs -- and one home run -- on 10 hits with three walks and two punchouts in just 2.2 innings of work.
- The D-backs notched their fourth win in their past five games.
- Prado's four-hit day tied a career high for the ninth time in his career.
- Locke is winless in his last four starts for Pittsburgh. The Pirates have now lost six of eight.
The D-backs and Pirates will conclude their three-game set on Sunday, August 17 at 10:35 a.m. Left-hander Wade Miley (9-8, 3.63) will get the start for the D-backs. He will be opposed by right-hander Charlie Morton (4-3, 3.79) for the Pirates. The game can be heard on Arizona Sports 620.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.