Grit Index: D-backs score season-high 15 runs in win over Pirates
The D-backs pounded out 20 hits, including two home runs from Martin Prado and Paul Goldschmidt as they defeated the Pirates by a final of 15-5.
Prado went 4-for-5 with a three-run home run, his 11th of the season, in the third inning off of Pirates' starter Jeff Locke. Goldschmidt stroked a three-run shot of his own in the ninth to tie Pittsburgh third baseman Pedro Alvarez, who hit his 30th earlier in the game, for the National League lead.
Prado's blast in the third highlighted a six-run inning for Arizona. The D-backs' third baseman has 13 RBIs in his last 10 games.
Goldschmidt went 3-for-6 on the day, capped by his ninth inning homer. Didi Gregorius broke out of a 2-for-29 slump with three hits for the Snakes.
D-backs' starter Trevor Cahill (4-10) notched the win, his first since May 17. The right-hander, who was sidelined with a bruised right hip, was activated from the disabled list before the contest. He allowed four earned runs on seven hits with four strikeouts and one walk in five innings of work.
Locke struggled mightily against the D-backs in his start for Pittsburgh on Saturday. The All-Star southpaw surrendered eight earned runs -- and one home run -- on 10 hits with three walks and two punchouts in just 2.2 innings of work.
- The D-backs notched their fourth win in their past five games.
- Prado's four-hit day tied a career high for the ninth time in his career.
- Locke is winless in his last four starts for Pittsburgh. The Pirates have now lost six of eight.
The D-backs and Pirates will conclude their three-game set on Sunday, August 17 at 10:35 a.m. Left-hander Wade Miley (9-8, 3.63) will get the start for the D-backs. He will be opposed by right-hander Charlie Morton (4-3, 3.79) for the Pirates. The game can be heard on Arizona Sports 620.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.