Grit Index: D-backs score season-high 15 runs in win over Pirates
The D-backs pounded out 20 hits, including two home runs from Martin Prado and Paul Goldschmidt as they defeated the Pirates by a final of 15-5.
Prado went 4-for-5 with a three-run home run, his 11th of the season, in the third inning off of Pirates' starter Jeff Locke. Goldschmidt stroked a three-run shot of his own in the ninth to tie Pittsburgh third baseman Pedro Alvarez, who hit his 30th earlier in the game, for the National League lead.
Prado's blast in the third highlighted a six-run inning for Arizona. The D-backs' third baseman has 13 RBIs in his last 10 games.
Goldschmidt went 3-for-6 on the day, capped by his ninth inning homer. Didi Gregorius broke out of a 2-for-29 slump with three hits for the Snakes.
D-backs' starter Trevor Cahill (4-10) notched the win, his first since May 17. The right-hander, who was sidelined with a bruised right hip, was activated from the disabled list before the contest. He allowed four earned runs on seven hits with four strikeouts and one walk in five innings of work.
Locke struggled mightily against the D-backs in his start for Pittsburgh on Saturday. The All-Star southpaw surrendered eight earned runs -- and one home run -- on 10 hits with three walks and two punchouts in just 2.2 innings of work.
- The D-backs notched their fourth win in their past five games.
- Prado's four-hit day tied a career high for the ninth time in his career.
- Locke is winless in his last four starts for Pittsburgh. The Pirates have now lost six of eight.
The D-backs and Pirates will conclude their three-game set on Sunday, August 17 at 10:35 a.m. Left-hander Wade Miley (9-8, 3.63) will get the start for the D-backs. He will be opposed by right-hander Charlie Morton (4-3, 3.79) for the Pirates. The game can be heard on Arizona Sports 620.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
- D-backs swept by Mets; end winless homestand
- Mets complete sweep of Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks are no easy fix, but who should get the chance?
- Debut in the books, Mike Bolsinger prepares for first start
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.