Lack of hustle will likely land D-backs' Adam Eaton on bench Wednesday
The Arizona Diamondbacks woke up Wednesday fresh off back-to-back nights with walk-off wins.
Prior to Paul Goldschmidt's second homer in three innings Tuesday, Monday night's hero Adam Eaton had a situation he probably wished he had back.
In the bottom of the 10th with A.J. Pollock on first, Eaton hit a ground ball to second base in what turned out to be an inning-ending double play. The play at first was a close one.
Upon watching the replay, it appeared Eaton slowed up a little over half way down the line. It also showed that he was safe but the call probably could have gone either way.
If Eaton had hustled all the way through the bag, there's a good chance he would have easily beaten the throw and been called safe.
General manager Kevin Towers told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620 Wednesday that the lack of hustle isn't something the Diamondbacks take lightly.
"I would imagine you probably wouldn't see him in the lineup today," Towers said. "There are subtle ways of sending messages and I'm sure there are teammates that have been on him."
The 24-year-old Eaton has played only 46 games in his big league career, and Towers doesn't think Tuesday's play is indicative of the youngster's style of play.
"He's a good kid, he cares, and it's just part of that learning process," Towers said of the young outfielder. "Stuff like that is kind of uncalled for, kind of an unwritten rule in Major League Baseball you hustle every time regardless of where the ball is hit."
Monday, Eaton hit the first of the two walk-off home runs for the Diamondbacks this week -- his first home run of the season.
After missing more than three months with an elbow injury, Eaton has had a solid August, hitting .300 (9-for-30).
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?