Lack of hustle will likely land D-backs' Adam Eaton on bench Wednesday
The Arizona Diamondbacks woke up Wednesday fresh off back-to-back nights with walk-off wins.
Prior to Paul Goldschmidt's second homer in three innings Tuesday, Monday night's hero Adam Eaton had a situation he probably wished he had back.
In the bottom of the 10th with A.J. Pollock on first, Eaton hit a ground ball to second base in what turned out to be an inning-ending double play. The play at first was a close one.
Upon watching the replay, it appeared Eaton slowed up a little over half way down the line. It also showed that he was safe but the call probably could have gone either way.
If Eaton had hustled all the way through the bag, there's a good chance he would have easily beaten the throw and been called safe.
General manager Kevin Towers told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620 Wednesday that the lack of hustle isn't something the Diamondbacks take lightly.
"I would imagine you probably wouldn't see him in the lineup today," Towers said. "There are subtle ways of sending messages and I'm sure there are teammates that have been on him."
The 24-year-old Eaton has played only 46 games in his big league career, and Towers doesn't think Tuesday's play is indicative of the youngster's style of play.
"He's a good kid, he cares, and it's just part of that learning process," Towers said of the young outfielder. "Stuff like that is kind of uncalled for, kind of an unwritten rule in Major League Baseball you hustle every time regardless of where the ball is hit."
Monday, Eaton hit the first of the two walk-off home runs for the Diamondbacks this week -- his first home run of the season.
After missing more than three months with an elbow injury, Eaton has had a solid August, hitting .300 (9-for-30).
- Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on 15-day DL
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?