Lack of hustle will likely land D-backs' Adam Eaton on bench Wednesday
The Arizona Diamondbacks woke up Wednesday fresh off back-to-back nights with walk-off wins.
Prior to Paul Goldschmidt's second homer in three innings Tuesday, Monday night's hero Adam Eaton had a situation he probably wished he had back.
In the bottom of the 10th with A.J. Pollock on first, Eaton hit a ground ball to second base in what turned out to be an inning-ending double play. The play at first was a close one.
Upon watching the replay, it appeared Eaton slowed up a little over half way down the line. It also showed that he was safe but the call probably could have gone either way.
If Eaton had hustled all the way through the bag, there's a good chance he would have easily beaten the throw and been called safe.
General manager Kevin Towers told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620 Wednesday that the lack of hustle isn't something the Diamondbacks take lightly.
"I would imagine you probably wouldn't see him in the lineup today," Towers said. "There are subtle ways of sending messages and I'm sure there are teammates that have been on him."
The 24-year-old Eaton has played only 46 games in his big league career, and Towers doesn't think Tuesday's play is indicative of the youngster's style of play.
"He's a good kid, he cares, and it's just part of that learning process," Towers said of the young outfielder. "Stuff like that is kind of uncalled for, kind of an unwritten rule in Major League Baseball you hustle every time regardless of where the ball is hit."
Monday, Eaton hit the first of the two walk-off home runs for the Diamondbacks this week -- his first home run of the season.
After missing more than three months with an elbow injury, Eaton has had a solid August, hitting .300 (9-for-30).
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Trumbo, Anderson dealt as winter meetings pick up
- Arizona Diamondbacks' GM Kevin Towers on why he traded Tyler Skaggs
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.