Lack of hustle will likely land D-backs' Adam Eaton on bench Wednesday
The Arizona Diamondbacks woke up Wednesday fresh off back-to-back nights with walk-off wins.
Prior to Paul Goldschmidt's second homer in three innings Tuesday, Monday night's hero Adam Eaton had a situation he probably wished he had back.
In the bottom of the 10th with A.J. Pollock on first, Eaton hit a ground ball to second base in what turned out to be an inning-ending double play. The play at first was a close one.
Upon watching the replay, it appeared Eaton slowed up a little over half way down the line. It also showed that he was safe but the call probably could have gone either way.
If Eaton had hustled all the way through the bag, there's a good chance he would have easily beaten the throw and been called safe.
General manager Kevin Towers told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620 Wednesday that the lack of hustle isn't something the Diamondbacks take lightly.
"I would imagine you probably wouldn't see him in the lineup today," Towers said. "There are subtle ways of sending messages and I'm sure there are teammates that have been on him."
The 24-year-old Eaton has played only 46 games in his big league career, and Towers doesn't think Tuesday's play is indicative of the youngster's style of play.
"He's a good kid, he cares, and it's just part of that learning process," Towers said of the young outfielder. "Stuff like that is kind of uncalled for, kind of an unwritten rule in Major League Baseball you hustle every time regardless of where the ball is hit."
Monday, Eaton hit the first of the two walk-off home runs for the Diamondbacks this week -- his first home run of the season.
After missing more than three months with an elbow injury, Eaton has had a solid August, hitting .300 (9-for-30).
- Diamondbacks reinstate A.J. Pollock and Chris Owings from DL
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs Manager - Tuesday September 2Kirk Gibson discusses Daniel Hudson returning to the D-backs roster.
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.