Updated Aug 12, 2013 - 5:46 pm
D-backs receive a bit of good health news, Trevor Cahill likely to return to rotation
Coupled with a 9-5 loss to the New York Mets at Chase Field, the team lost two key contributors to the disabled list within a matter of hours -- Eric Chavez (left knee strain) and Cody Ross (dislocated right hip).
Yet forgotten in all the doom and gloom was right-hander Trevor Cahill's third minor league rehab start Sunday night with the Reno Aces.
Cahill, who went on the DL July 1 with a right hip contusion, pitched seven innings in the Aces' 6-4 loss to the Memphis Redbirds and allowed just two runs on five hits, while striking out four.
While his command was a bit suspect in the early going, walking three, D-backs manager Kirk Gibson said he was impressed by how the 26-year-old progressively got stronger as they game progressed.
"He actually threw the ball better as the game went on Sunday," Gibson said. "He started out not throwing the ball as consistently but found his slot and threw the ball better. The first three innings were not as good, the last four innings were very good.
"Now we know he's throwing, been building up and going deeper, and he's ready."
Although Gibson noted that the fifth-year veteran was ready to return to action with the big league club, he was less specific on when that exact date would be.
"I didn't talk to him yet today, but we'll see how he feels probably tomorrow," said Gibson. "If he's okay, we will probably move him in [to the rotation]."
With Zeke Spruill being optioned to Triple-A Monday, the logical place for Cahill to make his return would be this weekend when the D-backs take on the Pittsburgh Pirates in a three-game series at PNC Park.
The D-backs right-hander is 3-10 with a 4.66 ERA and 1.41 WHIP on the season. He hasn't won since May 17 against the Miami Marlins.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.