Updated Aug 12, 2013 - 5:46 pm
D-backs receive a bit of good health news, Trevor Cahill likely to return to rotation
Coupled with a 9-5 loss to the New York Mets at Chase Field, the team lost two key contributors to the disabled list within a matter of hours -- Eric Chavez (left knee strain) and Cody Ross (dislocated right hip).
Yet forgotten in all the doom and gloom was right-hander Trevor Cahill's third minor league rehab start Sunday night with the Reno Aces.
Cahill, who went on the DL July 1 with a right hip contusion, pitched seven innings in the Aces' 6-4 loss to the Memphis Redbirds and allowed just two runs on five hits, while striking out four.
While his command was a bit suspect in the early going, walking three, D-backs manager Kirk Gibson said he was impressed by how the 26-year-old progressively got stronger as they game progressed.
"He actually threw the ball better as the game went on Sunday," Gibson said. "He started out not throwing the ball as consistently but found his slot and threw the ball better. The first three innings were not as good, the last four innings were very good.
"Now we know he's throwing, been building up and going deeper, and he's ready."
Although Gibson noted that the fifth-year veteran was ready to return to action with the big league club, he was less specific on when that exact date would be.
"I didn't talk to him yet today, but we'll see how he feels probably tomorrow," said Gibson. "If he's okay, we will probably move him in [to the rotation]."
With Zeke Spruill being optioned to Triple-A Monday, the logical place for Cahill to make his return would be this weekend when the D-backs take on the Pittsburgh Pirates in a three-game series at PNC Park.
The D-backs right-hander is 3-10 with a 4.66 ERA and 1.41 WHIP on the season. He hasn't won since May 17 against the Miami Marlins.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.