D-backs place Eric Chavez on DL, call up 3B Matt Davidson, LHP Eury De La Rosa
The Arizona Diamondbacks made a few roster moves on Sunday morning.
Manager Kirk Gibson announced the team placed veteran third baseman Eric Chavez on the DL with knee and hip soreness and promoted third baseman Matt Davidson and left-hander Eury De La Rosa from Triple-A.
The moves come a day after the D-backs optioned right-hander David Hernandez to Triple-A Reno following Saturday night's 4-1 loss to the Mets.
Chavez is batting .299 with nine home runs and 40 RBI in 194 at-bats for Arizona.
Davidson is ranked as the No. 2 prospect in the D-backs' farm system. The third baseman won the MVP of the MLB Futures Game and was the Triple-A HR Derby champion last month.
The 6'2, 225-pounder is hitting .278 with 16 home runs and 68 RBIs for the Reno Aces this season.
De La Rosa, who enjoyed a stint with the D-backs in July, pitched 2.1 scoreless innings and struck out three in two Major League appearances in 2013.
The 23-year-old southpaw is 3-5 with a 5.26 ERA and 49 strikeouts in 49.2 innings pitched for the Aces this year.
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.