D-backs place Eric Chavez on DL, call up 3B Matt Davidson, LHP Eury De La Rosa
The Arizona Diamondbacks made a few roster moves on Sunday morning.
Manager Kirk Gibson announced the team placed veteran third baseman Eric Chavez on the DL with knee and hip soreness and promoted third baseman Matt Davidson and left-hander Eury De La Rosa from Triple-A.
The moves come a day after the D-backs optioned right-hander David Hernandez to Triple-A Reno following Saturday night's 4-1 loss to the Mets.
Chavez is batting .299 with nine home runs and 40 RBI in 194 at-bats for Arizona.
Davidson is ranked as the No. 2 prospect in the D-backs' farm system. The third baseman won the MVP of the MLB Futures Game and was the Triple-A HR Derby champion last month.
The 6'2, 225-pounder is hitting .278 with 16 home runs and 68 RBIs for the Reno Aces this season.
De La Rosa, who enjoyed a stint with the D-backs in July, pitched 2.1 scoreless innings and struck out three in two Major League appearances in 2013.
The 23-year-old southpaw is 3-5 with a 5.26 ERA and 49 strikeouts in 49.2 innings pitched for the Aces this year.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.