Arizona Diamondbacks option reliever David Hernandez to Triple-A Reno
The Arizona Diamondbacks have seen enough.
Manager Kirk Gibson announced the D-backs have optioned right-hander David Hernandez to Triple-A Reno following Saturday's 4-1 loss to the Mets.
"He's struggled," said Gibson. "We're going to get him down in a different environment. He's been doing a lot of work since we haven't pitched him as much. He's been doing a lot of work in the bullpen just working on some things. He went out there today, and the game's just kind of been cruel to him."
Hernandez, who has struggled mightily of late, pitched poorly again against New York.
The 28-year-old entered a one-run game in the eighth inning before surrendering two runs on two hits with two walks and a strikeout.
The D-backs' right-hander is 4-6 with an inflated 5.59 ERA and five blown saves for the D-backs this season. He has also allowed runs in five of his last six appearances.
Hernandez's replacement will be announced on Sunday.
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.