Arizona Diamondbacks option reliever David Hernandez to Triple-A Reno
The Arizona Diamondbacks have seen enough.
Manager Kirk Gibson announced the D-backs have optioned right-hander David Hernandez to Triple-A Reno following Saturday's 4-1 loss to the Mets.
"He's struggled," said Gibson. "We're going to get him down in a different environment. He's been doing a lot of work since we haven't pitched him as much. He's been doing a lot of work in the bullpen just working on some things. He went out there today, and the game's just kind of been cruel to him."
Hernandez, who has struggled mightily of late, pitched poorly again against New York.
The 28-year-old entered a one-run game in the eighth inning before surrendering two runs on two hits with two walks and a strikeout.
The D-backs' right-hander is 4-6 with an inflated 5.59 ERA and five blown saves for the D-backs this season. He has also allowed runs in five of his last six appearances.
Hernandez's replacement will be announced on Sunday.
- ESPN analyst Kurkjian: Arizona Diamondbacks 'not doing anything right'
- D-backs' Derrick Hall: Losses mounting because players are pressing
- D-backs prospect Archie Bradley struggles in latest start
- D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
- D-backs swept by Mets; end winless homestand
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.