Arizona Diamondbacks option reliever David Hernandez to Triple-A Reno
The Arizona Diamondbacks have seen enough.
Manager Kirk Gibson announced the D-backs have optioned right-hander David Hernandez to Triple-A Reno following Saturday's 4-1 loss to the Mets.
"He's struggled," said Gibson. "We're going to get him down in a different environment. He's been doing a lot of work since we haven't pitched him as much. He's been doing a lot of work in the bullpen just working on some things. He went out there today, and the game's just kind of been cruel to him."
Hernandez, who has struggled mightily of late, pitched poorly again against New York.
The 28-year-old entered a one-run game in the eighth inning before surrendering two runs on two hits with two walks and a strikeout.
The D-backs' right-hander is 4-6 with an inflated 5.59 ERA and five blown saves for the D-backs this season. He has also allowed runs in five of his last six appearances.
Hernandez's replacement will be announced on Sunday.
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?