Report: Arizona Diamondbacks coach Matt Williams a candidate to be Washington Nationals manager
According to CBS baseball insider Jon Heyman, third base coach Matt Williams is a candidate to take over for Davey Johnson in Washington next season.
Williams is a bit of a surprise because he doesn't have an extensive managerial background, though he did interview and was a finalist for the Rockies' managing job that went to ex-Rockies player Walt Weiss last winter. Williams managed the Salt River Rafters in the Arizona Fall League. He is an extremely well respected as a coach because of his diligence and team-first attitude.
Williams was hired as the D-backs' first base coach in November 2009, and was moved to third base prior to the 2011 season. He is also a partial owner of the team.
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.