Updated Aug 4, 2013 - 11:46 am
Tony Sipp designated for assignment by Arizona Diamondbacks
Sipp, who previously filled the left-handed specialist role for the Diamondbacks -- most often entering games to face left-handed hitters in important situations -- was effectively replaced on July 31, when the team acquired Joe Thatcher from the Padres in exchange for Opening Day starter Ian Kennedy.
In 32.2 innings pitched for the Diamondbacks this season, Sipp had a 3.86 ERA and a 3-1 record. The 30-year-old struggled against left-handed hitters, however, showing greater effectiveness against righties. In 75 collective plate appearances against Sipp, left-handed hitters had a .351 on-base percentage and a .250 batting average. Right-handed hitters, meanwhile, were batting just .210 against Sipp in 62 total at-bats this season.
Sipp came to the Diamondbacks along with shortstop Didi Gregorius in the three-way trade that sent Trevor Bauer to the Cleveland Indians and Shin Soo-Choo to the Cincinnati Reds, amid other related transactions.
Brandon McCarthy was activated from the disabled list in a corresponding move, scheduled to make his first start since May 31 on Sunday versus the Boston Red Sox.
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- For the Arizona Diamondbacks, does stability sell?
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.