Updated Aug 4, 2013 - 11:46 am
Tony Sipp designated for assignment by Arizona Diamondbacks
Sipp, who previously filled the left-handed specialist role for the Diamondbacks -- most often entering games to face left-handed hitters in important situations -- was effectively replaced on July 31, when the team acquired Joe Thatcher from the Padres in exchange for Opening Day starter Ian Kennedy.
In 32.2 innings pitched for the Diamondbacks this season, Sipp had a 3.86 ERA and a 3-1 record. The 30-year-old struggled against left-handed hitters, however, showing greater effectiveness against righties. In 75 collective plate appearances against Sipp, left-handed hitters had a .351 on-base percentage and a .250 batting average. Right-handed hitters, meanwhile, were batting just .210 against Sipp in 62 total at-bats this season.
Sipp came to the Diamondbacks along with shortstop Didi Gregorius in the three-way trade that sent Trevor Bauer to the Cleveland Indians and Shin Soo-Choo to the Cincinnati Reds, amid other related transactions.
Brandon McCarthy was activated from the disabled list in a corresponding move, scheduled to make his first start since May 31 on Sunday versus the Boston Red Sox.
- D-backs go 3-4 on road trip, prepare for homestand vs. Phillies, Rockies
- D-backs' Mike Bolsinger shines in series finale at Wrigley: By The Numbers
- Bolsinger earns 1st MLB win, D-backs top Cubs
- D-backs place outfielder Mark Trumbo on 15-day D.L.
- Diamondbacks' Mark Trumbo out indefinitely with stress fracture in foot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president and CEO - Thursday April 24Did yesterday’s win save Kirk Gibson’s job?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.