Updated Aug 4, 2013 - 11:46 am
Tony Sipp designated for assignment by Arizona Diamondbacks
Sipp, who previously filled the left-handed specialist role for the Diamondbacks -- most often entering games to face left-handed hitters in important situations -- was effectively replaced on July 31, when the team acquired Joe Thatcher from the Padres in exchange for Opening Day starter Ian Kennedy.
In 32.2 innings pitched for the Diamondbacks this season, Sipp had a 3.86 ERA and a 3-1 record. The 30-year-old struggled against left-handed hitters, however, showing greater effectiveness against righties. In 75 collective plate appearances against Sipp, left-handed hitters had a .351 on-base percentage and a .250 batting average. Right-handed hitters, meanwhile, were batting just .210 against Sipp in 62 total at-bats this season.
Sipp came to the Diamondbacks along with shortstop Didi Gregorius in the three-way trade that sent Trevor Bauer to the Cleveland Indians and Shin Soo-Choo to the Cincinnati Reds, amid other related transactions.
Brandon McCarthy was activated from the disabled list in a corresponding move, scheduled to make his first start since May 31 on Sunday versus the Boston Red Sox.
- Hill, Diamondbacks top Dodgers in extra innings
- Diamondbacks exorcise some demons in win over Dodgers
- D-backs break winless streak, beat Dodgers in extras: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Cody Ross goes hitless in season debut
- Diamondbacks reinstate Cody Ross; designate Ryan Rowland-Smith
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.