Updated Aug 4, 2013 - 11:46 am
Tony Sipp designated for assignment by Arizona Diamondbacks
Sipp, who previously filled the left-handed specialist role for the Diamondbacks -- most often entering games to face left-handed hitters in important situations -- was effectively replaced on July 31, when the team acquired Joe Thatcher from the Padres in exchange for Opening Day starter Ian Kennedy.
In 32.2 innings pitched for the Diamondbacks this season, Sipp had a 3.86 ERA and a 3-1 record. The 30-year-old struggled against left-handed hitters, however, showing greater effectiveness against righties. In 75 collective plate appearances against Sipp, left-handed hitters had a .351 on-base percentage and a .250 batting average. Right-handed hitters, meanwhile, were batting just .210 against Sipp in 62 total at-bats this season.
Sipp came to the Diamondbacks along with shortstop Didi Gregorius in the three-way trade that sent Trevor Bauer to the Cleveland Indians and Shin Soo-Choo to the Cincinnati Reds, amid other related transactions.
Brandon McCarthy was activated from the disabled list in a corresponding move, scheduled to make his first start since May 31 on Sunday versus the Boston Red Sox.
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.