Updated Aug 3, 2013 - 8:37 pm
Grit Index: D-backs fall to Peavy, Red Sox
Jake Peavy was solid in his Boston debut as the D-backs lost to the Red Sox 5-2 on Saturday at Fenway Park.
Peavy (9-4), who was a hot commodity at the trade deadline, dazzled against the D-backs. The veteran right-hander allowed two runs -- including a Paul Goldschmidt solo homer in the fourth inning -- on four hits with seven strikeouts in seven-plus innings of work.
The former Cy Young winner outdueled D-backs' hurler Patrick Corbin, who suffered his second straight defeat. Corbin (12-3) surrendered three runs on eight hits with six strikeouts and two walks in six-plus innings.
The D-backs battled for a run in the eighth but saw their rally cut short when Cliff Pennington, who represented the tying run, was thrown out at home plate.
Boston broke things open in the bottom of the eighth when D-backs' reliever David Hernandez gave up a two-run home run to Jarrod Saltalamacchia.
Goldschmidt went 1-for-3 with a walk, home run and RBI. The D-backs' first baseman is now batting .301 with 26 longballs and an NL-leading 89 RBI this year.
With the home run, Goldy trails Pittsburgh Pirates third baseman Pedro Alvarez by one for the league lead.
Hernandez saw his struggles continue in relief against the Red Sox. The right-hander allowed two runs, Saltalamacchia's longball, on one hit in 0.1 inning. He saw his ERA rise to 5.32 on the season.
- The Red Sox have won six of their last eight games.
- The D-backs are now 18-4 in games Corbin has started this season.
- Former Red Sox Cody Ross didn't record a hit Saturday night, after going 4-for-5 on Friday.
The D-backs and Red Sox will play the series finale of their three-game set on Sunday, August 4 at 10:35 a.m. MST. Right-hander Brandon McCarthy (2-4, 5.00) will make his return from the disabled list to start for Arizona. He will be opposed by southpaw Felix Doubront (7-5, 3.77) for Boston.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.