Updated Aug 3, 2013 - 8:37 pm
Grit Index: D-backs fall to Peavy, Red Sox
Jake Peavy was solid in his Boston debut as the D-backs lost to the Red Sox 5-2 on Saturday at Fenway Park.
Peavy (9-4), who was a hot commodity at the trade deadline, dazzled against the D-backs. The veteran right-hander allowed two runs -- including a Paul Goldschmidt solo homer in the fourth inning -- on four hits with seven strikeouts in seven-plus innings of work.
The former Cy Young winner outdueled D-backs' hurler Patrick Corbin, who suffered his second straight defeat. Corbin (12-3) surrendered three runs on eight hits with six strikeouts and two walks in six-plus innings.
The D-backs battled for a run in the eighth but saw their rally cut short when Cliff Pennington, who represented the tying run, was thrown out at home plate.
Boston broke things open in the bottom of the eighth when D-backs' reliever David Hernandez gave up a two-run home run to Jarrod Saltalamacchia.
Goldschmidt went 1-for-3 with a walk, home run and RBI. The D-backs' first baseman is now batting .301 with 26 longballs and an NL-leading 89 RBI this year.
With the home run, Goldy trails Pittsburgh Pirates third baseman Pedro Alvarez by one for the league lead.
Hernandez saw his struggles continue in relief against the Red Sox. The right-hander allowed two runs, Saltalamacchia's longball, on one hit in 0.1 inning. He saw his ERA rise to 5.32 on the season.
- The Red Sox have won six of their last eight games.
- The D-backs are now 18-4 in games Corbin has started this season.
- Former Red Sox Cody Ross didn't record a hit Saturday night, after going 4-for-5 on Friday.
The D-backs and Red Sox will play the series finale of their three-game set on Sunday, August 4 at 10:35 a.m. MST. Right-hander Brandon McCarthy (2-4, 5.00) will make his return from the disabled list to start for Arizona. He will be opposed by southpaw Felix Doubront (7-5, 3.77) for Boston.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on 15-day DL
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.