Updated Aug 3, 2013 - 8:37 pm
Grit Index: D-backs fall to Peavy, Red Sox
Jake Peavy was solid in his Boston debut as the D-backs lost to the Red Sox 5-2 on Saturday at Fenway Park.
Peavy (9-4), who was a hot commodity at the trade deadline, dazzled against the D-backs. The veteran right-hander allowed two runs -- including a Paul Goldschmidt solo homer in the fourth inning -- on four hits with seven strikeouts in seven-plus innings of work.
The former Cy Young winner outdueled D-backs' hurler Patrick Corbin, who suffered his second straight defeat. Corbin (12-3) surrendered three runs on eight hits with six strikeouts and two walks in six-plus innings.
The D-backs battled for a run in the eighth but saw their rally cut short when Cliff Pennington, who represented the tying run, was thrown out at home plate.
Boston broke things open in the bottom of the eighth when D-backs' reliever David Hernandez gave up a two-run home run to Jarrod Saltalamacchia.
Goldschmidt went 1-for-3 with a walk, home run and RBI. The D-backs' first baseman is now batting .301 with 26 longballs and an NL-leading 89 RBI this year.
With the home run, Goldy trails Pittsburgh Pirates third baseman Pedro Alvarez by one for the league lead.
Hernandez saw his struggles continue in relief against the Red Sox. The right-hander allowed two runs, Saltalamacchia's longball, on one hit in 0.1 inning. He saw his ERA rise to 5.32 on the season.
- The Red Sox have won six of their last eight games.
- The D-backs are now 18-4 in games Corbin has started this season.
- Former Red Sox Cody Ross didn't record a hit Saturday night, after going 4-for-5 on Friday.
The D-backs and Red Sox will play the series finale of their three-game set on Sunday, August 4 at 10:35 a.m. MST. Right-hander Brandon McCarthy (2-4, 5.00) will make his return from the disabled list to start for Arizona. He will be opposed by southpaw Felix Doubront (7-5, 3.77) for Boston.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.