Arizona Diamondbacks president: Trading Ian Kennedy to division rival tough, but best for team
After all, teams don't want to run the risk of, in a way, doing something that keeps themselves out of the postseason.
So, when the Arizona Diamondbacks traded starting pitcher Ian Kennedy Wednesday, some eyebrows were raised.
Not because the team dealt their Opening Day starter, as nobody who is 3-8 with a 5.23 ERA should be untouchable. No, it was a bit surprising because he was sent to the San Diego Padres, who also reside in the NL West and currently trail the D-backs by six games.
"That's the toughest thing to do," D-backs president Derrick Hall told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Thursday. "We were looking for all and any interested parties for Kennedy, and obviously we wanted to make the best baseball deal and the best baseball deal for us was with San Diego."
Hall said adding lefty reliever Joe Thatcher along with minor leaguer Matt Stites and a draft pick softened the blow of sending their former ace just a bit west.
Thatcher, 31, is 3-1 with a 2.10 ERA this season, and many view the 23-year-old Stites as a closer in the making.
"If you think you're better for it you go ahead and do it, regardless of who the team is," he said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks GM Towers: New prospect Peter O'Brien provides 'an impact bat'
- Diamondbacks give Paul Goldschmidt a much-needed 'mental and physical' day off
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.