Arizona Diamondbacks president: Trading Ian Kennedy to division rival tough, but best for team
After all, teams don't want to run the risk of, in a way, doing something that keeps themselves out of the postseason.
So, when the Arizona Diamondbacks traded starting pitcher Ian Kennedy Wednesday, some eyebrows were raised.
Not because the team dealt their Opening Day starter, as nobody who is 3-8 with a 5.23 ERA should be untouchable. No, it was a bit surprising because he was sent to the San Diego Padres, who also reside in the NL West and currently trail the D-backs by six games.
"That's the toughest thing to do," D-backs president Derrick Hall told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Thursday. "We were looking for all and any interested parties for Kennedy, and obviously we wanted to make the best baseball deal and the best baseball deal for us was with San Diego."
Hall said adding lefty reliever Joe Thatcher along with minor leaguer Matt Stites and a draft pick softened the blow of sending their former ace just a bit west.
Thatcher, 31, is 3-1 with a 2.10 ERA this season, and many view the 23-year-old Stites as a closer in the making.
"If you think you're better for it you go ahead and do it, regardless of who the team is," he said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Beckett, Puig silence D-backs in series-clinching win for Dodgers: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Bolsinger struggles in first career start
- Ethier's HR propels Dodgers over Diamondbacks
- D-backs lose early lead, fall to Dodgers: By The Numbers
- Reserve outfielder Tony Campana supplies spark during D-backs' sluggish start
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.