Arizona Diamondbacks president: Trading Ian Kennedy to division rival tough, but best for team
After all, teams don't want to run the risk of, in a way, doing something that keeps themselves out of the postseason.
So, when the Arizona Diamondbacks traded starting pitcher Ian Kennedy Wednesday, some eyebrows were raised.
Not because the team dealt their Opening Day starter, as nobody who is 3-8 with a 5.23 ERA should be untouchable. No, it was a bit surprising because he was sent to the San Diego Padres, who also reside in the NL West and currently trail the D-backs by six games.
"That's the toughest thing to do," D-backs president Derrick Hall told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Thursday. "We were looking for all and any interested parties for Kennedy, and obviously we wanted to make the best baseball deal and the best baseball deal for us was with San Diego."
Hall said adding lefty reliever Joe Thatcher along with minor leaguer Matt Stites and a draft pick softened the blow of sending their former ace just a bit west.
Thatcher, 31, is 3-1 with a 2.10 ERA this season, and many view the 23-year-old Stites as a closer in the making.
"If you think you're better for it you go ahead and do it, regardless of who the team is," he said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.